new here

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by delovely_1, Mar 30, 2006.

1. delovely_1New MemberMember

Hello new here and i'm starting of a tank

now i want some opions on the fish I plan to have in my community tank :)

and i will be adding them slowly so don't worry this is just my future goal :)

so here my list:
                       * Bala Shark(2)
                       * Guppies(2 F 1 M)
                       * Clown Loach(1)
                       * Cheery Barbs (6)
                       * silver Dollers(3)
                       * Corydora(2)
                        *American butterfly fish(2)

Plz give opinion on how you think they will get along or if you think certain fish are a bad idea and plz be nice, as I am a begginer i want a healthy tank that why I"m here thank you ;)

2. dahlyValued MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!  Start at the beginning and review all the material on this link: https://www.fishlore.com/Beginners.htm   Pay carefull attention to the cycling section and get your tank off to a good start.  How big is your tank?   19 fish of assorted sizes are on your list.  When they are full grown they would need to be in a larger tank of at least 75 gallons.  Get the biggest tank you can afford/accommodate and you will have better success maintaining proper water parameters.  Keep us posted and good luck!   ;)

3. delovely_1New MemberMember

I'm not sure how much gallons my tank is :( it 30l x 14w x 15h ) can any one help me figure out how much gallons that is ? thxs:) and thxs for the friendly welcome :) also are glass marbles okay to use with graval?thx for you help again:) ???

4. dahlyValued MemberMember

Using the https://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm, I came up with 27 gallons, which is an odd size, but possible.  I don't know about marbles, but I'm sure someone will chime in who knows better.  It's a great hobby and this is the website I used when I started 6 months ago.  The folks here will help you every step of the way.  Enjoy!   ;D

5. delovely_1New MemberMember

Okay thanks so much :)

6. delovely_1New MemberMember

so should i cut down on the amount of fish I'm planning on putting in there? ???

7. dahlyValued MemberMember

I checked out the fish you are contemplating:
    * Bala Shark(2) 13 - 18" each
    * Guppies(2 F 1 M) 1.25" each
    * Clown Loach(1) 6"
    * Cherry Barbs (6) 2" each
    * Silver Dollars(3) 8" each
    * Corydora(2) 3.25" each
    *American butterfly fish(2) maybe 2" each, not sure but they may be saltwater fish. :(

So not counting the Am Butterfly, you would have 82 inches of fish, if the sharks didn't eat them. Meaning you would need about a 125 gallon tank to house them all, but they are not compatable. Read this site and goggle others and visit your local fish store (lfs) and talk to the people who work there and get an idea what you may like in your 27. Let us know and we'll help suggest a nice mix for you. slow and easy does win the race! ;)

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

The Guppies, Cherry Barbs, and Carydoras catfish are good choices.  I would not get any of the others.  Silver Dollars and Balas are too big, Clown Loaches need several friends, and seeing as I've never heard of that American Butterfly fish, they are probably not your typical, hardy community fish.  6 barbs and 3 Guppies is fine, but I would get 1 or 2 more Cories since they like to be in small shoals.  You are pretty much stocked after that, but you may have room for a few more fish.  Maybe you could get a couple more Cherry Barbs to make a larger shoal.  Let us know if you see another fish you would like and we'll try to help you decide if they would be suitable. :)

Oh yeah, and don't use marbles as substrate. In my opinion the best substrate is natural looking gravel, such as light brown or black. But you could also get colorful gravel.

9. delovely_1New MemberMember

I feel so dumb sorry the fish is called an African butterfly fish duh LOL sorry for the confusion :)

I'm still not sure on what i want I 3was also thinking for angelfish(not with the fish I listed above) but it says they like a tall tank mines 15H I'm thinking that to shallow

10. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!! As you can see we have some really nice people here :) The african Butterfly Fish is in deed freshwater but it needs a very calm environment. It moves and feeds very slowly so its best not to have fast moving fish with it.
    I agree with 0morrokh Guppies, Cherry Barbs and corys are a good selection for this size tank.
    Are you going to have live or artificial plants? Live plants make a tank very pretty and your fish will appreciate them.
    If you still want an african butterflyfish you could have one and then put six or eight Corys on the bottom.
    Remember their are no dumb questions, so don't hesitate to let us know if we can help in any way.
    Carol

11. delovely_1New MemberMember

Thxs i love the people on this site ;) well i got lots of questions i just don't want to ask all at once so i can take in the advice :) well wondering if the glass mables would harm my fish if i use them? ???

12. czarbenNew MemberMember

The marbles won't harm the fish, and it's up to your personal taste what looks good. The only problem I can see possibly with the marbles is they may be a little harder to keep clean. A gravel vacuum might not work as the marbles would probably be larger than most gravel.

13. delovely_1New MemberMember

Okay thxs I was worried about that I think I like the way marbles look I see how it goes with those when it comes to cleaning :)

14. ParvathNew MemberMember

::) hehe My 7G tank looks so small infront of all these big talks.

Welcome delovely_1 to Fishlore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice