New Here! Question About Mystery Snail Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Jsm209, Jun 24, 2018.

1. J

Jsm209 New Member Member

I love that this forum exists! So I've just started an aquarium, its the Top Fin Enchanted 3.5g for my betta, nothing fancy yet. BUT! I would like to add some live plants and maybe a mystery snail and a couple of ghost shrimp or tertas. Would something like this even be possible in a 3.5? maybe without the shrimp/tetras and just the snail? Are there any precautions i need to be aware of adding a mystery snail? Also, regarding live plants, I was looking to get some Anubias nana, but i've never grown live plants in a tank. Would this be easy enough to pull off with some lava rocks? any and all help is much appreciated!

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Nope. That would not be possible nor recommended to do in a 3.5. The only fish that can go in there is the betta.

It doesnt get easier than anubias, you can tie them to the lava rock using sewing string or fishing line.

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome!

I agree with @bryangar, mystery snail produce soooo much waste (you would be amazed), a 3.5g is a happy home for a lone betta, but adding anything else will be too much of a bioload for that size tank.

4. Sequoia

Sequoia Valued Member Member

This is just my opinion of the tank is that it’s too small for a betta I would recommend a 5 gallon or bigger. And like @bryangar and @Mazeus a Mystery Snail produces A LOT of waste.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You can do a nerite snail, but a mystery would grow too large and produce a huge waste in that tank. You can try ghost shrimp if you want.

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Live plants would work great. I remember when I had my Tetra 3gallon halfmoon tank <3. The was the begging of my hobby. I had added a ghost shrimp and he did fine with my first betta and halfway though the second betta.... I tryed adding cherry shrimp and that failed. A month later I woke up to no ghost shrimp.... RIP. I find 3gallons isnt enough for a tank mate. try a 5 gallon if you want tank mates with your betta.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Jsm209 New Member Member

thanks for the replies! Yeah for the time being i'll just stick with anubias, maybe in the future I can upgrade tanks and then revisit the idea of tankmates. thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice