New Here, Need To Help

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Brry, May 20, 2019.

1. Brry New Member Member

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    10 gallon
    How long has the tank been running?
    Several months
    Does it have a filter?
    Yea
    Does it have a heater?
    Yes
    What is the water temperature?
    Roughly 80° f
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    2 plecos, both live and plastic plants. A floating lotus flower, 1 coconut home, 1 ceramic vase home and 1 catappa leaf.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    1 a week
    How much of the water do you change?
    25-30%
    What do you use to treat your water?
    I add Aquasafe for Bettas every time and use bottled water for the tank.
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just the water

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? Nothing
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
    Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? I was feeding him every day
    How much do you feed your fish? 4 bloodworms a time
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Tetra bloodworms
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Freeze-dried
    Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 6months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week or so ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Ghost is no longer interested in food, he sits in the top corners of the fish tank. He seems to be having trouble breathing. His dorsal fin is dropped against his body, he only uses his pectoral fins if he does move. Also his rear seems to be more buoyant then the rest of his body.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? I changed out 30% of his water every day for 3 days, stopped feeding him, attempted to feed him a pea ( read on other forums helps with constipation)
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He looked faded when I purchased him
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Ghost is no longer active, he is uninterested in food and has lost a bit of color.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    Prior to his illness he was extremely active, ate with vigor, loved his lotus bed and was a very happy fish. Now he does none of these things. I am not sure what I should do, besides water test his tank and adjust accordingly. Thanks

2. Kiks Well Known Member Member

I'd urge you to buy a test kit as soon as possible. The API freshwater master test kit is great. If you cannot get it, try to get some other brand, but the important thing is that the test should be a liquid one and not strips.
    I'm guessing that your water parameters are off and what you can do right now is change more water to get the possible ammonia and nitrite down to a more safe level.

What kind of pleco do you have?

3. Brry New Member Member

Hi Kiks,
    I bought the test kit and came back with
    pH being I over 7.6
    Ammonia .25-50 ppm
    Nitrite .25 ppm
    Nitrate 5-10
    From what I read my oh and ammonia are way off. I'm not totally sure about the other numbers though, I get mixed info. Is my assessment correct?