New here ! I have a crayfish lol

aliyahgonzales

hello everyone! Im Aliyah and I have a pet crayfish. I adopted him when I was working at a pet store and we found him in the goldfish tank just chilling with one claw so I decided to take him home. I really don’t know much besides what I learned at that job so I’m very excited to be here! I’ve been wondering what kind of crayfish Larry may be and any tips tricks to keep him happy and healthy. I have him in a 10 g tank at the moment. Thanks! Aliyah and Larry

Attachments

• 2E55185E-5F55-4628-9498-FAB3C0F290ED.jpeg
    2E55185E-5F55-4628-9498-FAB3C0F290ED.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 71FF249E-46E2-4382-BFB3-DE702264DC1C.jpeg
    71FF249E-46E2-4382-BFB3-DE702264DC1C.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 34

mimo91088

Not sure what species but he's pretty. Welcome aboard!

BigManAquatics

Welcome! Crayfish are the grumpy old men "GET OF MY LAWN!!" critters of the aquarium world if you ask me. And bettas. Probably why i like both so much! And no clue what type he is. Don't know the types very well.

KayBee3

Also not sure what type of crayfish but he's cuuute! Welcome!

aliyahgonzales

Welcome! Crayfish are the grumpy old men "GET OF MY LAWN!!" critters of the aquarium world if you ask me. And bettas. Probably why i like both so much! And no clue what type he is. Don't know the types very well.
That’s why I love him so much! He is truly a grumpy old man!

BigManAquatics

That’s why I love him so much! He is truly a grumpy old man!
Honestly, they are my spirit animal.

LanceDog

I wonder if it is a marmorkreb. Aka the self cloning crayfish. If so, I hope you're prepared.

fallfever

Welcome! I learned lots about crayfish when I was Louisiana. Unfortunately, they use pots there rather than aquariums. I'm afraid my knowledge wouldn't benefit Larry at all Good looking critter, though!

mimo91088

I wonder if it is a marmorkreb. Aka the self cloning crayfish. If so, I hope you're prepared.
I'm no expert. But the claws don't look right to me for it to be one.

Catappa

hello everyone! Im Aliyah and I have a pet crayfish. I adopted him when I was working at a pet store and we found him in the goldfish tank just chilling with one claw so I decided to take him home. I really don’t know much besides what I learned at that job so I’m very excited to be here! I’ve been wondering what kind of crayfish Larry may be and any tips tricks to keep him happy and healthy. I have him in a 10 g tank at the moment. Thanks! Aliyah and Larry
Hi and welcome! Larry is cute! I think he might be a Marbled crayfish or else a Cajun Dwarf Crayfish (Cambarellus shufeldtii). I think the Cajuns are considerably smaller, but I'm not sure.

Here in the Netherlands and much of Europe, there has been an invasion of American crayfish and they are really a problem to native water inhabitants. When they first started plaguing us six or seven years ago, I tried to find out all I could about crayfish.

The_fishy

Welcome! It is definitely not a marmorkreb, as they don’t have a super dark central region on the abdomen and the coloration and claws are different. What area are you from? There are hundreds of crayfish species, so this can help narrow it down.

mimo91088

Welcome! It is definitely not a marmorkreb, as they don’t have a super dark central region on the abdomen and the coloration and claws are different. What area are you from? There are hundreds of crayfish species, so this can help narrow it down.
OP stated it came in to the pet store with a goldfish shipment if I understood that correctly. So it's native range could be anywhere. I'm curious myself now lol.

The_fishy

OP stated it came in to the pet store with a goldfish shipment if I understood that correctly. So it's native range could be anywhere. I'm curious myself now lol.
In my area, the common goldfish shipment accidents are P. alleni, P. zonangulus, or P. clarkii. Usually goldfish are reared in outdoor ponds, so really anything native will get in unless the fish hatchery likes to ship in some stock from elsewhere for breeding; in that case, species from the native area of the shipped fish also need considered.

mimo91088

In my area, the common goldfish shipment accidents are P. alleni, P. zonangulus, or P. clarkii. Usually goldfish are reared in outdoor ponds, so really anything native will get in unless the fish hatchery likes to ship in some stock from elsewhere for breeding; in that case, species from the native area of the shipped fish also need considered.
Oh for sure. I just meant that if they say "Oh I'm in Ohio" it still could have come from anywhere. But I was actually looking at p. Alleni as a possibility. But I have to admit I've never seen one with wild color pattern so I have no idea what that looks like! Lol it's crazy that we've selectively bred them so much that we only see the mutations.

BigManAquatics

Oh for sure. I just meant that if they say "Oh I'm in Ohio" it still could have come from anywhere. But I was actually looking at p. Alleni as a possibility. But I have to admit I've never seen one with wild color pattern so I have no idea what that looks like! Lol it's crazy that we've selectively bred them so much that we only see the mutations.
Come to the lake with me and bring a pack of hitdogs. We going crayfiah huntin! Lol

The_fishy

I got you! That was the closest one I’ve come up with so far too. I had one that was a wild and it did have similar patterning, but was more blue and purple and never really got dorsal spots. Some species will change color with diet and surroundings too. It gets fun

EDIT:
Younger, was in a breeder box with leaves for awhile.

5BAE0E86-AC49-489D-B39D-05698080F72D.jpeg

After being moved to a tank with river stone.
E9468BE5-552D-41D8-95C7-CB4500C24EC5.jpeg

Adult coloration.

5BD223BF-FE0A-4698-99FD-DDDB7ADD72C3.jpeg

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! He will eventually need a bigger tank than 10 gallons but really nice crayfish!

mimo91088

Come to the lake with me and bring a pack of hitdogs. We going crayfiah huntin! Lol
You near Massachusetts? Because I have genuine plans of doing that this summer lol.

BigManAquatics

You near Massachusetts? Because I have genuine plans of doing that this summer lol.
Roadtrip! Lol

Redviper

Greetings and interesting creature! I became aware of them as a boy. I would see them in the buckets of people who wouldn't say why they there. They came from a scary lagoon in Douglas Park, located on the near West side in Chicago. The water they came from was black as pitch and so were they.

aliyahgonzales

Oh gosh what does that mean hahaha I’ve had him for a while, like 4 months and I haven’t seen any clones yet he just tried to escape and is really mean
They like hot dogs??? lol I unfortunately live in the high desert but my friends have found them at a couple lakes before!

BigManAquatics

Oh gosh what does that mean hahaha I’ve had him for a while, like 4 months and I haven’t seen any clones yet he just tried to escape and is really mean

They like hot dogs??? lol I unfortunately live in the high desert but my friends have found them at a couple lakes before!
Usually we just flip rocks along the shoreline, but i have put hotdogs on a hook before and caught then out of the water by boatdocks and such. The rock flipping is usually more productive at night. They make great live bait for fishing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
johnbirg
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies
Views