New here and to the hobby =]

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Stephanie2015, Jul 20, 2015.

1. S

Stephanie2015 Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I been reading a lot from different sites to learn about everything I need to know bout getting going, but usually always come back to this site....you all seem very helpful and even the all the questions newbies, like myself ask over and over again lol. I wish I had read and join BEFORE buying and setting up my tank...would have prevented doing a whole start over now. I had green water and loosing my just bought female guppies left and right! =[ I did a lot of mistakes, like had tank by sliding back door, most likely overfeeding, and not testing water nor water changes as much as I should have. Thought I didn't have any issues till I bought live floating moss balls and my female guppies. Anyway, I am hoping this time goes better! I want to leave my info of what I have going now...and if anyone has any advice please let me know! Spouse getting a little upset bout how fast this hobby is costing money lol.
    *MY TANKS*
    40g tank, aquaon 50g filter, adjustable heater, 2 led colored lighting flex wand bubbler, standard light on a 36 hood, 2 java ferns, 3 anubias, and some floating plant ( not hornswart, but petsmart employee said it is very similar and hardy.) Added aquarium salt, prime, water conditioner. Substrate is river pebbles. Just started with cycling today and add fish flakes to help it. Will test tomorrow. I have the API marine testing kit.

10g tank, (this will be my quarantine/fry tank after I can move current fish into the 40g), I bought a kit tank so filter is basic but has carbon in it, led lighted hood, basic heater, led lighted bubbler disk, river pebble substrate, 3 skull caves (thought I have the bubbler under one), live floating plant and part of another that must have accidentally got in the bag...but it had roots so I planted it in there lol. My testing numbers today after 2g water change is: ph-8, ammonia-0, nirites-0, nirates-0 (my ammo was .25 yesterday but was first day of set up, plus had to put my fish in it). I have the following fish: 5 black skirt tetras, 3 gold panda mollies, 6 female guppies, 5 male guppies, and one survivor zebra stripe danio. I don't plan on getting anything else till 40g is fully cycled! =]

Sorry so long, but I really loved feedback etc because I seem to hear so many conflicting advice from online to different employees at petco and petsmart lol. Thank you!

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

For a cycled aquarium, you should have readings of 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20 Nitrates (under 40 not so bad). The Nitrates should NOT be 0 unless the aquarium is very heavily planted.

Note: The Marine Testing kit is for saltwater aquariums. I would suggest that you switch to the API (Liquid) Master Test Kit for Fresh Water.

Too, I would stop the use of aquarium salt as it may do more harm than good for your fish and plants. Salt in a freshwater aquarium is not necessary.

For now, to keep your fish safe, I suggest daily water changes of 50 to 75%. Add the Prime water conditioner to detox your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for 24 hours until it is time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily water changes and dosing with Prime until you have 0,0, under 20 (under 40 readings). This will keep your fish safe.

After you have added the Prime, wait 24 hours to test for more accurate results.

Best wishes for your tank and fish and I hope you enjoy the forum. Hold on for more responses.

Ken :)

3. OP
    OP
    S

I do have that test lol sorry guess I type the name wrong. Both are going through the cycle now...I just had to but them somewhere. .and the old tank water didn't seem safe to me. Btw do fish sleep neat the bottom? Just saw two mollies and one female guppy on the side, bottom of tank..sort of hiding..

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Since both tanks are uncycled I would go ahead and move all your fish to the 40g, cycling will be so much easier on them in the larger tank than the one they're in now. You should pick up a bottle of tetra safe start or seachem stability (bottled bacteria) to help get your cycle under way. Fish often sleep either at the very top or the very bottom of the tank, just sort of hovering in place. As long as they're upright they're fine. I agree that you don't need the salt and would stop using it personally.

Welcome btw! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Welcome Stephanie! I agree, it will be easier to keep up with the 40 gallon tank while you are cycling.
    For such a large tank, I would also suggest investing in the python water changer because it will definitely save you some time and frustration hauling buckets of water. You have come to a great place for friendly advice and great information!!!

One last thing, beware of the guppy choice. With 6 females and 5 males, you can eventually end up with an extremely over stocked tank due to all the babies they will have.

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! So good to have you here!!! :)

Pretty sound advice you've been given by the above posters haha!^^

7. Bijou88

To add, you may want to eventually add a more powerful filter or a second one, I fear your filter for the 40g may not be sufficient. Mollies and guppies create a lot of waste and have a high bioload, so best to overkill on filtration if possible. When you're cycled you should also add at least 5 more danios and one more skirt tetra to finish out their schools. :)

8. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you all for the advice! =] I will move them when I get home from work. I read and told by petco employee to add the salt..especially for my mollies, good thing I join to get some good, legit advice lol. I will finish those schools. ..I had lose their mates.

Would keeping the 6 female guppies in the 10g be ok? What bout if I put in something to half it? (Wanting to have quarantine space) Trying to get away from guppies after all the losses I had with them. Want to have more molly breeds, eventually. As far as the filter could another one like I have work? Planning on adding a sponge filter, once everything is cycled.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  9. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Welcome to fishlore....great forum with lots of knowledgeable people!

Good luck with the tanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

Hi and welcome to fish lore. I have mollies and guppies as well as other fish now and I wouldn't keep the mollies in the 10 gallon any longer than they have to. I would move them to your bigger tank any cycle them in there like others have suggested. Mollies need at the very least no less than 30 gallons. That also depends on what type of mollies you have. The bioload of having mollies in a 10 gallon will surely cause some losses. Ive made that mistake already. Good Luck to you. :;hi1

whoops I misread that. I think your guppies would be ok in the 10gallon but I personally wouldn't keep more than 4 in there that's just IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  11. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

You're already getting great advice. The whole thing about mollies and salt just isn't true. What is true is that in their natural native habitat they live in water that is brackish, (hope thats the right word). Bred and raised in captivia they are not in salt so it would actually be unnatural for them to be in salt. Now what they do need and you should either find this out on line or have petco test your GH for you. They do require water that is not super soft. They are considered "hard water fish" which means lots of minerals in their tank like calcium and magnesium. Your water may already have that going for it. If you take a water sample to the pet store have them tell you the exact number for GH (general hardness), not "its good, or its fine". Anything about 150ppm and up is good for them.

If yours is low, you can raise your general hardness with limestone, coral shells, aragonite etc. Or they make liquid minerals you can add like Seachem Replenish.

Lastly, I have live bearers. I have mollies, platies and guppies. Either go with an all male tank or an all female tank or you will quickly regret it :)
    I currently have about 50 tiny fry in my 10g quarantine tank that I've pulled out of the main tank because I thought I had all females (and sadly I didn't). I got rid of the males to a co-worker and luckily my locally owned fish store will take the fry once they're about an inch long.

As my husband has often said, "how can a few $3.00 fish cost so much?????" lol
    Three years later, many tanks, much equipment, many many plants, many do overs....all for those inexpensive little fish.

12. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

13. OP
    OP
    S

Lol yeah my husband said the same and I really wanted a 55g but compromise with on 40g. I am not positive what the sexes are with mollies or my tetras. As far as my guppies, I might return them. Thought I love my blue moscow and gold (with spots of black) male guppies. Can there be just 2 male guppies in a community tank? Again, thank you for all the great advice =]

14. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

I moved my male guppy out of the 10gallon away from the females and into my 37gallon and he was doing just fine on his own with the other fish but I've since gotten him another male guppy pal and they do great together with all the other fish.

15. Bijou88

Yes, you can have two male guppies in the community, they don't school they just like company. It's not a good idea to divide the 10g, having half be a quarantine isn't going to work because your fish on the other half will constantly be exposed to whomever is being quarantined. You could do another filter like the one you have, though I also recommend the aquaclear hobs.

16. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Its easy to tell them apart once you sit and look at them for awhile.

Sometimes they will pull up their anal fin, but generally speaking, while they are swimming they are very easy to distinguish. The females is larger and looks like a fan. The males looks more like a tube.

Because they're not schooling fish its ok to have only two in your tank. They do tend to like at least one of their own kind as they tend to hang out together.

17. OP
    OP
    S

We have decided to bring back all the guppies and the one danio and use the credit towards another filter. I will see if we can afford the aquaclear hob. Where are these normal sold? I am in milwaukee.

18. Bijou88

Petsmart and Petco both generally carry the aquaclears.

19. OP
    OP
    S

What size do you recommend? I liked to increase my molly and tetras once my tank is cycled.

20. Bijou88

I would get an aquaclear 70 personally if you're adding it to your current one. I like a lot of filtration for live bearers though because they're poop monsters. Don't get too many more mollies, they can get around 5" long when grown. If you want something that looks similar but is smaller you can get platies instead, they max out around 2" for the males.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice