New here and i need help, losing fish.

OctoMochi

Just got my first guppy tank. The tank is a 20 long, with Aqueon 30 filter, have some pea gravel and using led lights along with the Zoo Med UV bulb for supplement. have the tank running for approx 1.5 month, i'm slowly losing my guppies, what am i doing wrong. Looking to purchase a test kit tomorrow

any advice would be appreciated

LowConductivity

Tough to tell. When in doubt, change water. Post your test results tomorrow?

Dunk2

Just got my first guppy tank. The tank is a 20 long, with Aqueon 30 filter, have some pea gravel and using led lights along with the Zoo Med UV bulb for supplement. have the tank running for approx 1.5 month, i'm slowly losing my guppies, what am i doing wrong. Looking to purchase a test kit tomorrow

any advice would be appreciated
I’d suggest the API Master Test kit. Be sure you follow the testing instructions very carefully and include your pH test results when you post back here.

As LowConductivity suggested, I’d do a 50% water change even before getting the test kit. Be sure to use a dechlorinator and temperature match the water you‘re putting in to the tank water temperature.

OctoMochi

Thank you for the quick response.
I'll keep you posted

OctoMochi

Hello, so I went out to buy a master test kit and here are the results:

pH-7.6
High Range pH- 7.8
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40 ppm

Tigerburp

Y
Hello, so I went out to buy a master test kit and here are the results:

pH-7.6
High Range pH- 7.8
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40 ppm
our nitrate is a little high

kimsch1005

Nitrate level of 40 ppm is pretty high. I would suggest doing a water change, 50% or so and making sure you keep the nitrates below 20 consistently.

Also, as dumb as this may sound, make sure you're not accidentally introducing any chemicals to your tank. Little mistakes can be fatal, like forgetting to dechlorinate the water.

Ive lost fish to stupid mistakes, like regenerating purigen in splashless bleach instead of regular bleach. If the nitrates are taken care of and you keep losing them these are things to consider.

OctoMochi

Okay, thank you. I will keep you guys posted.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mk47582
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views