New heater

Dillan Murphy

I just got a new heater after not having one, will the new heater heat the water up all at one time or at intervals. Do i set the heater at intervals to avoid disturbing the fish?

FishGirl38

I would say it depends on where the temp is now currently, and where you want the temp to be at.

The heater should (usually) heat the water all at one time until it's at your target temp. So, if your tank is at say, 68F and you want to get it to 80F - than I WOULD set the heater in intervals.

If you're going from 74F to 78F - than I personally would set it at 78F and leave it be.

It's going to raise the temp gradually still, but if you're raising the temp by quite a bit, it would be safer to set the heater up in intervals or 2 or 4 degrees, if possible.

EDIT: Read The Directions That Came With Your Heater! Many of them need to sit in the water for 15-30 min before being plugged in to adjust. The last time I didn't read the directions, (I turned the dial, set it in the tank and plugged it in right away) my heater started clicking and stopped working about 6months after. Use as directed. lol.

Dillan Murphy

FishGirl38 said:
I would say it depends on where the temp is now currently, and where you want the temp to be at.

The heater should (usually) heat the water all at one time until it's at your target temp. So, if your tank is at say, 68F and you want to get it to 80F - than I WOULD set the heater in intervals.

If you're going from 74F to 78F - than I personally would set it at 78F and leave it be.

It's going to raise the temp gradually still, but if you're raising the temp by quite a bit, it would be safer to set the heater up in intervals or 2 or 4 degrees, if possible.

EDIT: Read The Directions That Came With Your Heater! Many of them need to sit in the water for 15-30 min before being plugged in to adjust. The last time I didn't read the directions, (I turned the dial, set it in the tank and plugged it in right away) my heater started clicking and stopped working about 6months after. Use as directed. lol.
My temp is currently at 72, my target temp is 78

FishGirl38

Dillan Murphy said:
My temp is currently at 72, my target temp is 78
If you've got hardier fish, like cichlids or barbs - than I'd say you could set it and walk away. If you've got things like tetra and angels, I'd set it at 74 or 76 first, wait a day - let it heat it to 74 or 76, than set the heater for 78 the next day (or a bit after).

I just recently added an aquatop heater to my oscar's tank. It was reading at 74 and I set them at 80 right away. Everyone is doing well - but my oscar is now more active - and also more hungry. :).

Dillan Murphy

FishGirl38 said:
If you've got hardier fish, like cichlids or barbs - than I'd say you could set it and walk away. If you've got things like tetra and angels, I'd set it at 74 or 76 first, wait a day - let it heat it to 74 or 76, than set the heater for 78 the next day (or a bit after).

I just recently added an aquatop heater to my oscar's tank. It was reading at 74 and I set them at 80 right away. Everyone is doing well - but my oscar is now more active - and also more hungry. :).
My fish are mollies platies turquoise rainbowfish and Corydoras should I just set it and forget it

FishGirl38

The cory's might notice the change the most - but I think those guys are hardy enough to handle the change within that range. - sorry for the late reply.

Dillan Murphy

FishGirl38 said:
The cory's might notice the change the most - but I think those guys are hardy enough to handle the change within that range. - sorry for the late reply.
I ended up raising the temp in intervals from 72-74 74-78

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom