New guy saying hello

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Scanlon, Mar 18, 2010.

1. S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I am new to this fish keeing game bar a brief experience keeping fish at junior school, many many years ago. But scince then I have always been intrested in fish. My new found intrest came when my daughter, 4, asked I'd we could get some fish. I'm sure a small tank and couple of gold fish would have made her happy but I thought better of it. I'm about to order a 180l aquarium, my daughter is really excited, my wife, not so much.

I've got to say that finding this site has been a god send, the starting a freashwater aquarium articles have been fantastic and really informative. So looking forward to doing the aquascaping, planting and cycling, just reasearching has been enjoyable. So I give you all fair warning I will have loads of questions.

Thanks for all the information you've already shared.
    Paul

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Ask away, we'll help in whatever way we can and we can all learn as well.

3. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Scanlon, Welcome to Fishlore.....
    this is a great bunch of people that are truly here to help you enjoy your fish. good luck.........

4. l

loisiris New Member Member

hi all,
    I am new to this site,l have had my cold water fish tank just over a year now and my gold fish are about 4 inches now.
    I started a tropical tank up a few weeks ago after my friend gave me her tank and fish,the water quality was bad and l lost a few fish so l bought a new 65litre tank and yes it has to go through the cycling which means lots of little water changes but l dont mind.I have also had to treat my tank because we think the fish l lost may of had velvet so lam keeping my fingers crossed l dont lose anymore.I have 2 tetras 2 platties 2 dalmation mollies 1 fancy guppie , 1 suckie fish,4 guppies and 3 baby fry guppies l dont know which one had them because it was just after l got the tank from my friend and l dont know that much about them yet ,but l,am learning .so any help would be great
    from marg.

5. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FL! :)

6. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore, Scanlon!:;hi2
    Congrats on getting a 180l tank! Good bunch of people here to ask, if you've got a lot of questions. What kind of fish do you think you might get? And don't forget to put up pictures when you finish! :D

7. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Welcome, Paul, to Fish Lore! Enjoy your plunge into the world of fish!:;fb

8. OP
    OP
    S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will have to pander to the wifes' wants and she really likes angels, we went to the LFS today there are so many pretty fish I want them all, well see how it goes, may need another tank!!

9. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Lol, sounds like MTS(multiple tank syndrome) to me, that's how it all starts...
    I went from a single 10 gallon tank to a 20, to having the 20, and two other 10s. I keep mollies and platies in my 20, a Betta in one 10, and a cichlid in the other 10.
    That size tank should be good for angles, BTW. Just be sure to do plenty of research before you buy something, and don't forget you can always come ask us!

Good luck with getting the fish you want, it usually is a hard decision! :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  10. Kimbrink

Kimbrink New Member Member

Welcome. Bunch of great info here!

11. l

hi l have a couple of questions ,hope someone can help, first my 65litre tank has been running now for a couple of months all my levels are spot on but l am haveing bother with green algee l have been told to do a 20% water change every day for a week so l hope this works. I have 2 balloon mollies,2 tetras,2 platies,1 fancy guppie, 3other guppies and at my last count 10 baby fry which l know 1 is a mollie it looks like the others are guppies and platties even tho l thought the platies were male ha ,any help would be great ,the question is l have a 35litre tank with 2 gold fish in l have had this for about 1and a half years now but one of my gold fish that is about 5inches long is swollen on one side it has been like this for about 4,month now but he had been ok so never worried but last few days it has been lying on the bottom of the tank and not eating much it swims to the side and seems to be getting bigger but its only on one side can anyone give me some advice thanks

12. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore loisiris.

You should ask a mod to start a new thread. You'd get much better results. I'm no good with goldfish diseases, but in the right place, I'm sure there is someone on this forum who could help.

Good luck.

13. l

Thanks catsma
    I will try that , this is great site for information and there is so much to learn,
    :)

14. allibobs

allibobs Well Known Member Member

Welcome Paul have much fishy fun

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice