New Guppy Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Flynnster, Jan 12, 2013.

1. FlynnsterValued MemberMember

Hey everyone, After having my tank set up for over a week, I got out and got my guppies today! Not my first ones, but the last group went to my dad when I left for college. Got two males and two females as well as a few ghost shrimp. I'd prefer Cherry Shrimp, but I've never seen them at a chain store, and I have yet to find a LPS other than them around me. Who knows, maybe I'll order some off Auquabid.

Anywhere, here's some pics. No direct shots of the females, they are rather basic, one very yellow (even through her body) and the other yellow tail with red stripes at the top and bottom of the tail.

First up is the little shrimp standing proud!
    First Male (Jack)
    Second Male Slash, I really love his coloring.
    Finally, a whole tank pic. I will be changing out the plant up front (live) for something else as it isn't doing so well (was an impulse buy, poor decision) And the top will be covered with Duckweed, which I think will look very nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

That tank looks REALLY small. What size is it? It's very pretty but there's a few things to consider:

1. Your tank is probably not cycled yet. This site has an awesome page for the nitrogen cycle, and it will give you all the info you need! However, guppies are pretty hardy and while it's not kind for them to be in a cycling tank, they will probably survive it.

2. You're overstocked. If that tank is 5 gallons or smaller, it's too small for four guppies. Your ammonia is going to spike up pretty high after they get to eating and pooping. You might consider getting a ten gallon. They're pretty inexpensive!

Those are some marvelous looking guppies you've got there. I just love guppies. They'll give you years of enjoyment. :)

3. lllllbladerWell Known MemberMember

Nice guppies! The tank looks kinda small tho.
    Consider getting a 10 gallon or similar.

4. FlynnsterValued MemberMember

Thanks guys! I understand it is a small tank (6.6 Gallon), but with the plants coming in, and diligent water changes and proper feeding I expect to be fine. My last tank was a 5 gallon and I had basically the same set up for about a year and things went very well.

5. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

What happened after the year?

You're also going to need a liquid water test kit to test your levels. At the very least, an ammonia testing kit.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  6. FlynnsterValued MemberMember

After a year I left for college and my girlfriend took it over, who knew nothing at all about fishtanks, and it lasted about another 6 months. Then some of the guppies died off, and she added a goldfish. That tank really never had any problems. Just got away from it because I didn't have the space.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice