Help New guppy Mom

Kitley

Reaction score
Babes were born on Sunday. I moved the other male and female to my larger tank. Not sure that they made it, as I have not seen them. Tried to net Mom today, and could not get her, She seems not to be going after fry, in fact she seems to be doing poorly. I added a bit of Prime to the water. She is not eating, and sitting near the top of the tank in the same spot. Is there anything else I can do to help her..or will she pass?

Best Answer - View Platylover's answer
OP
K

Kitley

Reaction score
Tank is 15 gallons, and uncycled..I tried when I got the new guppies to do a fish in, who gave birth 2 weeks later. It is my QT tank. ammon nirtrite and nitrate all still 0. I did put in a filter from my cycled tank but has not taken. The three lil guppies I bought were not enough to even start a cycle, Tank is at about 78 to 80 degrees

liquid test kit daily

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly, I'd rehome all of your guppies. Your tank needs to be cycled. It's very important and is needed to establish beneficial bacteria to support life in your aquarium. do you know about the nitrogen cycle and how it works?

By the sounds of it, it seems like your guppy is suffering from ammonia burn and is trying to get oxygen.

OP
K

Kitley

Reaction score
yes...I have a 75 gallon cycled tank. I spent a half hour and with a turkey baster could only catch one of a dozen or so. I plan this only to be short term. Mom seems so unwell that I hate to move her to the big tank, as it appears that her two tank mates did not survive the transfer yesterday. I could easy move her to the large tank, but think she would be prey due to her condition. My big tank has larger fish,,Platys being the smallest up to larger Mollys.

ammonia is 0

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kitley said:
yes...I have a 75 gallon cycled tank. I spent a half hour and with a turkey baster could only catch one of a dozen or so. I plan this only to be short term. Mom seems so unwell that I hate to move her to the big tank, as it appears that her two tank mates did not survive the transfer yesterday. I could easy move her to the large tank, but think she would be prey due to her condition. My big tank has larger fish,,Platys being the smallest up to larger Mollys.
If your smaller tank isn't cycled your guppy will continue to decline in health. Maybe look into a breeder box type deal, and put it in your larger tank. And maybe put your guppy in it. That way she doesn't get picked on. Allow her to recoup and see about letting her reside in your larger tank. I have a 90g with a bunch of mollies and swordtails. they all share a tank nicely.

Do you know how to start a cycle?

OP
K

Kitley

Reaction score
yes...I cycled the big one.I was ready to transfer the 3 new guppies to the main tank when one had babies.I will move Mom in the small fry tank and get another fry keeper to move the babes as well, Thanks for your suggestions Mike. These are the first fry I have had.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if all readings are currently 0 then it being uncycled likely isn't the cause of this. I would advise against placing her in a breeder in the main tank as it will cause much more stress on here. Breeders are known for causing serious stress on fish.

It sounds like you are using cycled media as well? Do you have any live plants in the 15? It honestly may already be cycled, just not enough nitrates to show(I've personally had takes like this. Heavy planting and low stock caused 0 nitrates to be shown on tests).

I don't think she currently needs to be moved, particularly if she's only housed with her fry. You may be able to consider separating the fry a bit, but they shouldn't be causing her any significant issues. To me this sounds more so like complications from birthing (just to be clear she gave birth within the last day or two?). Is she gasping at all?

What I would suggest doing is daily water changes in case parameters are the issue. Sometimes even if they aren't the primary source of the problem, having fresh water can help. Are there any hiding places in the aquarium?

OP
K

Kitley

Reaction score
Platylover said:
if all readings are currently 0 then it being uncycled likely isn't the cause of this. I would advise against placing her in a breeder in the main tank as it will cause much more stress on here. Breeders are known for causing serious stress on fish.

It sounds like you are using cycled media as well? Do you have any live plants in the 15? It honestly may already be cycled, just not enough nitrates to show(I've personally had takes like this. Heavy planting and low stock caused 0 nitrates to be shown on tests).

I don't think she currently needs to be moved, particularly if she's only housed with her fry. You may be able to consider separating the fry a bit, but they shouldn't be causing her any significant issues. To me this sounds more so like complications from birthing (just to be clear she gave birth within the last day or two?). Is she gasping at all?

What I would suggest doing is daily water changes in case parameters are the issue. Sometimes even if they aren't the primary source of the problem, having fresh water can help. Are there any hiding places in the aquarium?
Lots of hiding spots...all fake plants. However I just netted her and put her in the fry net by herself, into the big tank. She did not seem stressed, is swimming around and actually eating!!!Wow...a turn around. Yes, I first saw fry on Sunday, If the fry seem to have a prob in the next few days, I will get another net hanger and move them as well. So far they seem good, and at this point I can not catch them.Thanks Platy lover and Mike...will see how things are in the morn. At this point I am very relieved!

OP
K

Kitley

Reaction score
Update. After feeding fish in the large tank I freed Mom from the fry net today. She was doing well, and is right back to normal now. Will leave the fry in the small tank, and check water daily, Tomorrow I will do a water change by hand on the small tank, so I don't suck up any fry. I have counted up to 13 of them, and they are eating well. I bought two females today to keep Mom company in the big tank.

New Threads