New Guppy Has Totally Shredded Tail

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by McPickle, Apr 16, 2017.

1. M

McPickle New Member Member

Hey all -

I brought home two new guppies yesterday afternoon and this evening one of them (Who we were calling Blue-Barry) has had his tail completely shredded... there is no fin there at all, just spindly rays. His left fin also looks like its split.
    I didn't really pay much attention to them this afternoon, but saw him swimming around okay at other levels of the tank. Now he has no way to get down from the surface.
    What happened?
    Is there something I can do to help him?
    Really worried he won't make it very long at all :(

Has this happened to your guppies or other fish before?
    Our other guppies have never done this to each other, leading me to believe it is the other new guy we brought home who is being an aggressor.

First 2 photos are of when we brought him home yesterday afternoon, with his beautiful blue tail intact.
    Middle 2 photos are of right now, with no tail :(
    Last 2 are of the other new guy (Zip), with Blue-Barry. He's super cool-looking, but maybe a super evil jerk?

Attached Files:

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Do you have any other fish in the tank with him? Have you seen the other guppy bully him?

What are your water parameters? I would advise you to seperate him to another tank. His fins should row back with clean water.

3. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Yes it could be a variety of reasons bullying, problems in water parameters or maybe you have something sharp or pointy in the tank. You should sit near your tank for some time and watch how the others are behaving

4. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Finrot, I had a guppy who lost his whole dorsal fin overnight and it looked exactly like that.

Parameters?

QT him with 50% WCs daily and dose aquarium salt.

5. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Do any of his scales look grey (where they are not supposed to be)?

It could be fin rot, but that's awfully quick to lose his entire tail in 24 hours. If he does have the greyish scales, then it's probably columnaris (bacterial infection)

6. OP
    OP
    M

He didn't make it through the night, poor dude! Hard to tell with the scales right now, esp as his body was a dark grey/blue, and he was new so I didn't have a mentally established base of what "normal" looked like for this particular fish.

The other tankmates are 4 long-time guppies (no fighting between them, they worked it all out long ago), the new guppy I brought home at the same time as him, a mystery snail, and a spotted/butterfly loach.
    Tank is planted with amazon sword, anacharis, and a moss ball, and the 2 plastic structures have been in there a long while and haven't caused an issue with any one else.

I have observed the new guppy chasing & nipping the tails & gills of his elders, causing them to dart away and avoid him, but I didn't see him going to town on the late Blue-Barry's tail. When he's not being a jerk he's rather fun to watch, as he's a very active swimmer and has such a cool patterned tail.

Will test water later this afternoon. Had done a 30% water change 2 days ago, and added Phosgaurd at the time to help combat some Diatom growth I've been fighting.

7. M

Sorry for your loss but trying was the best you could do

8. OP
    OP
    M

Tested Water, and everything was normal except my alkalinity was higher than usual.
    LFS thinks it just must have been a bad batch of guppies, perhaps in combo with the little guy nipping, since it just disappeared so fast.

Watching everyone else closely now to make sure they dont show signs of any bug introduced by the new guys.

Thanks for your thoughts & advice, everyone!

9. OP
    OP
    M

oh no!! Whatever that new guppy had is now taking out my tank :emoji_disappointed_relieved:
    One guppy, Philip, suddenly pine-coned yesterday and died in the afternoon.
    Another one, Silver, seemed really lethargic and a little puffy yesterday afternoon. by the end of the night he was very wobbly, and I noticed a tear in his tail.
    Now this morning, ~8 hrs later, he is rresting on the bottom of the tank and the upper have of his tail is GONE, disappearing like the new ones.

what is this?!
    What should I do to help Silver, and prevent it from taking out anyone else? (3 guppies left, plus my loach and snail).
    I am so upset that one new fish is taking out my long-time pals .
    Silver was my most active fish until a couple days ago.

Yesterday afternoon I did a 25% waterchange after I took Philip out when he started to pinecone.
    Should I separate Silver now? I don't have a quaratine/hospital tank, and don't have the money or space to set up a full rig for one either.

10. M

If you don't have a big hospital tank then in an emergency like this I'd say that you use the best think possible like a goldfish bowl /a bucket/ vase. I know it's not big enough but it's just temporary. You should keep all your infected fish separately so that the disease sought spread to the others. You should do this ASAP before something happens to the others.
    Best of luck

11. OP
    OP
    M

I've got him in a vase now, and I added a tiny drop of Melafix to it, and I dosed the main tank with it at well.

Should I take out the new Bully? Could his nipping be aggravating them as well and starting the tears?

Here's the poor guy below, today and at about 12:00 am. He does have some discoloration at the trunk of his tail shown last night

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice