New Guppy Boy, Hes Pink?

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This little raggy guy caught my eye at the store. Plain jane as far as patterns go, but his body is a soft lilac-pink where his tail is dark purple and red. I really liked him, so you know where he is now...

I named him Berry.

Anyone know a general direction for colour and pattern type? I dont have any females, just two handsome boys. So not like ill be breeding any, i just like to know.

Photo with and without flash.
20191008_201439.jpg
20191008_185504.jpg

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's officially a magenta guppy (looks like pink and purple). Because of the light refelection it's hard to tell if he's also platinum or störzbach.
Breeding him to a clean (= female that isn't storing sperm packages of a former mating) female, the magenta coloration will be dominant in most offspring. Doesn't have to be very clear in phenotype in the offspring when you'll be crossing him to a black moscow female for instance. Then the black will be more dominant (with moscows, the females carry the dominant moscow gene) but some edging of fins (even the caudal penducle) will show some magenta in that case.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He's officially a magenta guppy (looks like pink and purple). Because of the light refelection it's hard to tell if he's also platinum or störzbach.
Breeding him to a clean (= female that isn't storing sperm packages of a former mating) female, the magenta coloration will be dominant in most offspring. Doesn't have to be very clear in phenotype in the offspring when you'll be crossing him to a black moscow female for instance. Then the black will be more dominant (with moscows, the females carry the dominant moscow gene) but some edging of fins (even the caudal penducle) will show some magenta in that case.
This photo shows in less light, so less reflective. Its a silvery-lilac colour for the body, slightly fading to pink towards the tail.

Its good to know an idea of what female to look for should i decide on some for him, that really helps actually. Ive not seen a guppy his colour here. Usually blues or blacks or yellows and such.

And i cant tell if his tail is ripped up or if its the natural shape.

Thank you for your input, you always know so much on livebearers

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that the shape of his tail is just his shape and not ripped up. Looking at the last picture in your reply, it's most likely that he carries the störzbach gene. This is also a dominant gene. Could be interesting for future generations.
Because it does show some magenta (what may look like pink) on his body despite of the metallic shine, it's most likely the störbach gene which he's carrying. If it was platinum, the platinum would cover all coloration under it.

Magenta is becoming more popular overhere. And not just with guppies but also with endler hybrids.
I'll show some magenta guppies overhere for you. And some are more covered with magenta and some are slightly magenta. Note that the color magenta has got also a variety in nuances.
DSCF3207.JPG

livebearer1 312a.jpg

Below: This is a tiger hybrid. The socalled red or pink tiger. But it does show magenta as well.
livebearer6 202a.jpg

IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2614a.jpg

IMG_3409a.jpg

Below: This red roundtail guppy shows also magenta on the lower part of his body.
DSCF8012.JPG

Below: A bunch of magenta snakechests
DSCF0338.JPG

Below: And this is a magenta snakechest female (females show less magenta in general).
DSCF3226.JPG

Even this guy is a magenta guppy. But he does have a high density of melanophores on his body. Therefore, he looks pretty black.
livebearer7 278.jpg

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe that the shape of his tail is just his shape and not ripped up. Looking at the last picture in your reply, it's most likely that he carries the störzbach gene. This is also a dominant gene. Could be interesting for future generations.
Because it does show some magenta (what may look like pink) on his body despite of the metallic shine, it's most likely the störbach gene which he's carrying. If it was platinum, the platinum would cover all coloration under it.

Magenta is becoming more popular overhere. And not just with guppies but also with endler hybrids.
I'll show some magenta guppies overhere for you. And some are more covered with magenta and some are slightly magenta.
View attachment 626305
View attachment 626306
Below: This is a tiger hybrid. The socalled red or pink tiger. But it does show magenta as well.
View attachment 626310
View attachment 626311 View attachment 626312
View attachment 626313
Below: This red roundtail guppy shows also magenta on the lower part of his body.
View attachment 626314
Below: A bunch of magenta snakechests
View attachment 626320
Below: And this is a magenta snakechest female (females show less magenta in general).
View attachment 626321
You have stunning guppies! That last hybrid is gorgeous.

I think ill pick out some nice females for him soon, i peeked at one store today and they only had two females and they didnt look too healthy so i passed. Got some plants instead lol

But i am gonna check out another location i think. I cant guarantee they wont already be pregnant, however, but still. I could always keep a female fry as well from that possibility.

In case i go today, is there any particular traits in females i should look for?

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And this is a platinum velvet halfblack magenta guppy. No magenta will shine through his platinum colored chest.
livebearer7 248.jpg

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But i am gonna check out another location i think. I cant guarantee they wont already be pregnant, however, but still. I could always keep a female fry as well from that possibility.

In case i go today, is there any particular traits in females i should look for?
That's always a good option to use the female fry and crossbreed them to the father.

It really depends on what triat you'd like to pass on to the further generations to make an adequate choice of females to be used.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's always a good option to use the female fry and crossbreed them to the father.

It really depends on what triat you'd like to pass on to the further generations to make an adequate choice of females to be used.
I meant if i bought a female already pregnant, keeping an ideal female born from that batch.

Ideally, i think its his pinkish colouring i liked about him, that i wouldnt mind seeing in other patterns, maybe get it to be bolder on the tail markings. More contrast in the tail i think. Something along those lines.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I meant if i bought a female already pregnant, keeping an ideal female born from that batch.

Ideally, i think its his pinkish colouring i liked about him, that i wouldnt mind seeing in other patterns, maybe get it to be bolder on the tail markings. More contrast in the tail i think. Something along those lines.
Oh yes, even female offspring from a purchased female is good. They'll be clean to start with. So, you can be sure, that he'll be the father of the new offspring.

Like I've already mentioned, the color magenta is quite dominant. So, if that's the trait you'd like to pass on, there's a pretty good chance that you'll succeed.
Preferable would be a female with clear fins. Or a female with some red on the caudal penducle. Choosing a grey or blonde based female is of no issue in this case in the F1. But to avoid blonde offspring ( will be just a few fry which will be blonde if you'll choose a blonde female) in future generations, best choice is to choose a grey based female. In the F1 when crossing to a blonde female, all fry will be grey based phenotypically. Genotypically, a certain percentage will be blonde but showing a grey phenotype.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom