30 Gallon Tank New guppies loitering by filter

Stewright

Hey all so this is my first help question following my intro post.

Yesterday I managed to get some guppies and bristlenose pleco from my father in law.

They are in my tank however the guppies seem to be sticking to behind the filter, I have fed them and they seemed to come out a little bit to feed but then went straight back.

I do have plenty of plants and hiding places for them.

I checked the water they came in and all was fine apart from high nitrate levels at 88ppm which seems to be above the reccomended? I'm just worried the change over to my cleaner tank has shocked them (my father in laws tank is pretty grim with algae everywhere as he doesn't look after it, has 18hrs light on and only cleans the filter ect once a year, honestly I'm surprised his fish arnt all dead :( )

Oh I added a bit of cucumber, I know its recommended to cut it but as my father in law used to put whole bits in I thought it would be familiar for them to do the same.

Should I just give them time to adjust?

Also my pleco hasn't gone for the wafer I put in for him, I'm worried he only knows to eat algae now after his previous tank lol

Attachments

• 20211025_110613.jpg
    20211025_110613.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211025_110526.jpg
    20211025_110526.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 16

Passionfish

Hey all so this is my first help question following my intro post.

Yesterday I managed to get some guppies and bristlenose pleco from my father in law.

They are in my tank however the guppies seem to be sticking to behind the filter, I have fed them and they seemed to come out a little bit to feed but then went straight back.

I do have plenty of plants and hiding places for them.

I checked the water they came in and all was fine apart from high nitrate levels at 88ppm which seems to be above the reccomended? I'm just worried the change over to my cleaner tank has shocked them (my father in laws tank is pretty grim with algae everywhere as he doesn't look after it, has 18hrs light on and only cleans the filter ect once a year, honestly I'm surprised his fish arnt all dead :( )

Oh I added a bit of cucumber, I know its recommended to cut it but as my father in law used to put whole bits in I thought it would be familiar for them to do the same.

Should I just give them time to adjust?

Also my pleco hasn't gone for the wafer I put in for him, I'm worried he only knows to eat algae now after his previous tank lol
I'm sorry but I cannot really help you, but I can tag someone who can.
mattgirl

emeraldking

Could be that they just have to adjust first. That may explain the behavior.

ProudPapa

Welcome.
  • They should start moving around more after they get familiar with the tank. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • I'd probably do a 50% water change to get the nitrates down to around 40 ppm.
  • If the pleco doesn't eat the wafer it's probably not hungry. If he doesn't eat it after a few hours I'd take it out, and maybe try again in a day or two.

Stewright

Welcome.
  • They should start moving around more after they get familiar with the tank. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • I'd probably do a 50% water change to get the nitrates down to around 40 ppm.
  • If the pleco doesn't eat the wafer it's probably not hungry. If he doesn't eat it after a few hours I'd take it out, and maybe try again in a day or two.
Thank you for your reply
The high nitrate was the old water they were in from my father in laws tank, the nitrate in my tank is 0 but I do have a nitrite reading of 0.54 which I suspect is due to it being a new tank and the nitrogen cycle not being complete :/

The tank seems so big compared to the pleco i worry he won't even know the wafer is there

ProudPapa

Thank you for your reply
The high nitrate was the old water they were in from my father in laws tank, the nitrate in my tank is 0 but I do have a nitrite reading of 0.54 which I suspect is due to it being a new tank and the nitrogen cycle not being complete :/

The tank seems so big compared to the pleco i worry he won't even know the wafer is there

In that case I'd definitely do a water change. You don't want to let the combined ammonia and nitrites get much higher than that (definitely below 1.0, and again, that's combined, not just one of them).

mattgirl

How did you acclimate these fish to your tank? Going from a tank with high nitrates to one with none without a slow acclimation may have been hard on them.

What you are doing now is a fish in cycle. Did you get some filter media from the tank the fish came from? If you didn't I suggest you do so now. That seeded media should help this tank cycle faster.

Stewright

How did you acclimate these fish to your tank? Going from a tank with high nitrates to one with none without a slow acclimation may have been hard on them.

What you are doing now is a fish in cycle. Did you get some filter media from the tank the fish came from? If you didn't I suggest you do so now. That seeded media should help this tank cycle faster.
I tried my best with this as my father in law doesn't listen and ended up randomly bringing them down (150mile journey) in a polystyrene box thats commonly used for packing dead fish for markets ect and I didn't have another tank to put them in. It was hard to get the temperature to match my temperature whilst in the box but I managed to and kept them in there for 12 hours slowly adding a bit of my tanks water each hour. As I had to sleep i couldn't keep them in the box overnight so then transferred them to my tank.

Unfortunately he didn't bring any filter media though I did ask him to bring a used sponge, someone in the pet shop advised me to use aquastart to add bacteria in and kick-start the cycle so have done that. Ill do a water change as recommended above to help eliminate the nitrite but I won't be able to get any filter media as he lives so far away
Awh yay theyre moving around the tank more now, exploring their new tank a bit :)

mattgirl

I tried my best with this as my father in law doesn't listen and ended up randomly bringing them down (150mile journey) in a polystyrene box thats commonly used for packing dead fish for markets ect and I didn't have another tank to put them in. It was hard to get the temperature to match my temperature whilst in the box but I managed to and kept them in there for 12 hours slowly adding a bit of my tanks water each hour. As I had to sleep i couldn't keep them in the box overnight so then transferred them to my tank.

Unfortunately he didn't bring any filter media though I did ask him to bring a used sponge, someone in the pet shop advised me to use aquastart to add bacteria in and kick-start the cycle so have done that. Ill do a water change as recommended above to help eliminate the nitrite but I won't be able to get any filter media as he lives so far away
Awh yay theyre moving around the tank more now, exploring their new tank a bit :)
In this case all you can do it the best you can. I am sure your Dad had good intentions as I am also sure you will do your best for these little guys. Keep the light off on the tank for a couple of days to give them time to get used to their new home.

The very best thing you can do for them at this point is keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite numbers and do water changes as needed to keep both down to negligible levels. Since you have a pleco in this tank I highly recommend you over filter this tank. Is what I am seeing up in the left corner off your tank the filter? If it is I really don't think it is sufficient for a tank with a pleco in it.

I noticed you put food up there where you really don't want to see the fish hiding. I wouldn't do that. Put it where you want them to eat. If they are hungry they will come to it.

I would wean them off cucumber and start feeding them normal flakes, crisps or pellets. Unfortunately cucumber isn't the more nutritious food for them. Your pleco will love its fresh veggies. My pleco Elbert loves his zucchini. It is a bit more nutritious than cucumber. He gets it twice a week and gets algae wafers or veggie rounds all the other days. Do you have driftwood in this tank? I am seeing a couple of pieces that look to be driftwood but it is difficult to tell. Plecos do need their driftwood.

Be sure you temp match and add your water conditioner to the fresh water before pouring it in the tank. Some folks fear using water from their water heater to temp match the water but I've never found it to be a problem.

Stewright

In this case all you can do it the best you can. I am sure your Dad had good intentions as I am also sure you will do your best for these little guys. Keep the light off on the tank for a couple of days to give them time to get used to their new home.

The very best thing you can do for them at this point is keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite numbers and do water changes as needed to keep both down to negligible levels. Since you have a pleco in this tank I highly recommend you over filter this tank. Is what I am seeing up in the left corner off your tank the filter? If it is I really don't think it is sufficient for a tank with a pleco in it.

I noticed you put food up there where you really don't want to see the fish hiding. I wouldn't do that. Put it where you want them to eat. If they are hungry they will come to it.

I would wean them off cucumber and start feeding them normal flakes, crisps or pellets. Unfortunately cucumber isn't the more nutritious food for them. Your pleco will love its fresh veggies. My pleco Elbert loves his zucchini. It is a bit more nutritious than cucumber. He gets it twice a week and gets algae wafers or veggie rounds all the other days. Do you have driftwood in this tank? I am seeing a couple of pieces that look to be driftwood but it is difficult to tell. Plecos do need their driftwood.

Be sure you temp match and add your water conditioner to the fresh water before pouring it in the tank. Some folks fear using water from their water heater to temp match the water but I've never found it to be a problem.
Thank you for your help :) very much appreciated
The tank itself has a trickle system top filter, which is the pipe on the left.
I also added an extra internal filter the eheim pickup 160 which is what you can see just next to the other pipe.
Will the both of them be enough?

I have a large piece of wood at the back about 38" and also a much smaller piece with java fern attached to it, and more hava fern on some lava rock

I do plan to get them off cucumber, id rather feed them bloodworm and flakes.
Tbh I didn't actually want it there I was kinda hoping it would sink for the plecos how can I get it to sink?

I will be doing regular ammonia and nitrite checks and change the water accordingly:) I have aquasafe to condition the water

mattgirl

Thank you for your help :) very much appreciated
The tank itself has a trickle system top filter, which is the pipe on the left.
I also added an extra internal filter the eheim pickup 160 which is what you can see just next to the other pipe.
Will the both of them be enough?
they probably will be. If over time we have difficulty getting this tank cycle you may need to add more filtration but for now we will just wait and see.
I have a large piece of wood at the back about 38" and also a much smaller piece with java fern attached to it, and more hava fern on some lava rock
I thought i saw driftwood. Thanks for the confirmation. Your pleco will love it.
I do plan to get them off cucumber, id rather feed them bloodworm and flakes.
Tbh I didn't actually want it there I was kinda hoping it would sink for the plecos how can I get it to sink?
Fresh veggies need to be blanched to get them to sink. I would rather feed them raw so weigh it down for Elbert. Some pierce it with a fork. My tank is about 20inches deep. Since i don't want to have to reach in to retrieve a fork I use a wand from a mini-blind. I just poke the end of the wand into the zucchini and it holds it down. It tries to float so I just kinda wedge it up against something in the tank. You can buy devices for feeding fresh veggies but what i do works for me. I am sure you will figure out what works for you. :)
I will be doing regular ammonia and nitrite checks and change the water accordingly:) I have aquasafe to condition the water
Since you are doing a fish in cycle I will recommend you get a bottle of SeaChem Prime and use it in place of the AquaSafe. Like your AquaSafe it removes chlorine/chloramines and heavy metals but it goes one step farther and detoxes low levels of ammonia. I actually used Aqua Safe for many years but once I started using Prime I have continued using it. It is very concentrated so it takes very little to get the job done.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForBettaorForWorse
  • Question
  • BlueAndBlack
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
BlueAndBlack
Replies
Views