New guppies - Help me?

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bought two female guppies yesterday. Today I was gone all day; when I got home one of them was dead. My question is this: The other guppy and the cory in the tank seem to be acting perfectly fine, so I'm guessing that the problem is not water quality (haven't had a chance to test), though I did a partial water change anyway. That leaves the possibility that something was wrong with the guppy. I don't want to leave the other female alone for any longer than I absolutely have to, but I don't want to buy a new fish if my remaining girl (Dubh) may be sick or if the other guppies at the lfs may be sick. Should I go buy a new guppy tomorrow, or should I wait until I am certain that Dubh and Amaethon aren't sick? I can buy the guppy from a different store, and I was also planning on buying another cory.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would wait and make sure the cory and guppy you have aren't sick. This will act as a quarantine period. In a couple of weeks(sometimes takes a couple of weeks for disease to show up) then when you get your new guppys and cory if at all possible they need to be quarantined before put them into your current tank to keep from bringing disease in.
Hope that helps
Carol

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
thank you for the advice. O jeeze this is going to drive me nuts... Poor Dubh is so lonely, she either tails Amaethon or follows her reflection along the side of the tank (there's one side that reflects, my betta boys were always flaring at it). I think I might buy a new cory and a new guppy and quarantine them at the same time as these two; not in the same tank but within view.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom