New guppies glass surfing

megnbug

i just got six male guppies for my (precious empty) 20 gallon tank. its heated to 79° and filtered with a couple of live plants. is it normal for new guppies to glass surf a lot? yesterday when i got them they were exploring around and rummaging in the sand (looking for food) but now they've pretty much abandoned that and spend most on their time swimming up and down along the glass. the tank wasn't cycled when i put them in (i live with my parents who rly dont understand cycling) and im wondering if thats the issue? i tested the water and everything looks exactly the same as it was before i added them (test kit doesn't come with ammonia readings though which worries me):
ph 7, nitrates/nitrites both 0, kh 80, gh 180. I'm wondering what i can do to help with their stress? i fed them some bug bite flakes crushed up yesterday and today and they eat readily but when they aren't eating they just mindlessly glass surf

(on the attached photo you can see one on the left side surfing)

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_145745283.jpg
    PXL_20211017_145745283.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 24

Marlene327

Yes, they are stressed. I don't see any bubblers? A sponge filter would be good for filtering, also providing them oxygen in the water. Plants are good, but yours are young, please don't count on those to filter the water. But they definitely need to be in a cycled tank. At this point you'll have to do a fish-in cycle unless you know someone with an aquarium who can give you some used filter material with bacteria. Fish-in cycling is hard on the fish and you have to do a lot of water changes for 6 weeks or more. If you can get an API master test kit that shows ammonia, that's important. That's the one that will kill quickly when it goes up.

There's a ton of info in this forum on the nitrogen cycle, do some searches. Look for fish-in cycling or other such words. Maybe see what's the best additives.

megnbug

Yes, they are stressed. I don't see any bubblers? A sponge filter would be good for filtering, also providing them oxygen in the water. Plants are good, but yours are young, please don't count on those to filter the water. But they definitely need to be in a cycled tank. At this point you'll have to do a fish-in cycle unless you know someone with an aquarium who can give you some used filter material with bacteria. Fish-in cycling is hard on the fish and you have to do a lot of water changes for 6 weeks or more. If you can get an API master test kit that shows ammonia, that's important. That's the one that will kill quickly when it goes up.

There's a ton of info in this forum on the nitrogen cycle, do some searches. Look for fish-in cycling or other such words. Maybe see what's the best additives.
i have a friend with a bunch of established tanks. i can see if i can snag a bit of media from one of them. i just feel so helpless watching them being so stressed knowing that there's not much that i can do abt it :( just hoping that my friend will let me take some and that they'll perk up if i do get that media.

Marlene327

i have a friend with a bunch of established tanks. i can see if i can snag a bit of media from one of them. i just feel so helpless watching them being so stressed knowing that there's not much that i can do abt it :( just hoping that my friend will let me take some and that they'll perk up if i do get that media.
Betting he/she will be happy to help. Now find out from someone here the best way to use a little of that, if you aren't putting it into a HOB filter. I think some people have stuffed some into sponge filters but I never tried that. I buy small sponge filters on Amazon, usually about 9.99 for 3. You use one a very long time, squeeze it out and clean it in some old tank water when you do changes. But it would be months before you'd want to do that, you need the bacteria to grow. Once I have a tank going with an old one from another tank, I add in a 2nd one. I always have at least 2 filters going but it depends on the size of the tank.

Dunk2

i just got six male guppies for my (precious empty) 20 gallon tank. its heated to 79° and filtered with a couple of live plants. is it normal for new guppies to glass surf a lot? yesterday when i got them they were exploring around and rummaging in the sand (looking for food) but now they've pretty much abandoned that and spend most on their time swimming up and down along the glass. the tank wasn't cycled when i put them in (i live with my parents who rly dont understand cycling) and im wondering if thats the issue? i tested the water and everything looks exactly the same as it was before i added them (test kit doesn't come with ammonia readings though which worries me):
ph 7, nitrates/nitrites both 0, kh 80, gh 180. I'm wondering what i can do to help with their stress? i fed them some bug bite flakes crushed up yesterday and today and they eat readily but when they aren't eating they just mindlessly glass surf

(on the attached photo you can see one on the left side surfing)
It sounds like you’re doing a fish-in cycle? If you’re not familiar with cycling a tank, read this. . .
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

In addition to the other suggestions, I’d suggest you get the API Master Test kit, which includes an ammonia test. If that’s not an option, get an ammonia test only. If you’re using test strips, the API kit is generally more accurate.

How often and how much water are you changing? If you’re not already using it, I’d also suggest using Seachem Prime. In addition to dechlorinating your water, it will help protect your fish from low levels of ammonia.

megnbug

Betting he/she will be happy to help. Now find out from someone here the best way to use a little of that, if you aren't putting it into a HOB filter. I think some people have stuffed some into sponge filters but I never tried that. I buy small sponge filters on Amazon, usually about 9.99 for 3. You use one a very long time, squeeze it out and clean it in some old tank water when you do changes. But it would be months before you'd want to do that, you need the bacteria to grow. Once I have a tank going with an old one from another tank, I add in a 2nd one. I always have at least 2 filters going but it depends on the size of the tank.
tysm for your replies x ill look into getting those filters. its just tricky for me to do lots of things bc im still too young to work at most places so its tricky to get what i need. ty though, ill take a look at them.
It sounds like you’re doing a fish-in cycle? If you’re not familiar with cycling a tank, read this. . .
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

In addition to the other suggestions, I’d suggest you get the API Master Test kit, which includes an ammonia test. If that’s not an option, get an ammonia test only. If you’re using test strips, the API kit is generally more accurate.

How often and how much water are you changing? If you’re not already using it, I’d also suggest using Seachem Prime. In addition to dechlorinating your water, it will help protect your fish from low levels of ammonia.
the issue is that im too young to get a job at most places (ive already applied to wherever i can) and so i rly cant get all of that :( ive already spent all of the money that i had saved on this tank and so im hoping to get a job and earn more. I just got the fish yesterday so i haven't done much maintenance but to help keep the water decent i plan to do small 10-15% daily or every other day (already did one today)

SuspiciouslyFishy

I for one have just shoved extra established sponge media into my internal filter for an instant cycle (but I suspect it was only instant bc the newer tank was very lightly stocked). But if the media is travelling, make sure it stays damp and cool until you can get it in your tank. If you can get established media it will help loads.
I echo what others here are saying- try to get a liquid test kit (more accurate than strips) that will also measure ammonia (which will kill fish and is the first thing to build up in a cycle). I use the API kit.
I reccomend Prime conditioner for the water as well, if you can get it, due to it's ammolock feature. It's not needed but in my experience it's made spikes of ammonia and nitrites much easier on my fish (being new to this, I've made some mistakes).
Certain plants like water sprite can help, but honestly, for an uncycled tank they will be of limited help while they're still small and getting used to underwater life.
If you can't afford that, honestly I'd do your water changes daily. I don't know how much would be needed without knowing how fast ammonia is building up, perhaps someone else can chime in.
Otherwise, I've noticed that for the first few days after being acclimated, my new fish have always glass surfed. And then the behaviour goes away after that.
Have you got decent hiding places for them?

Otherwise, I love guppies, and I hope that once the cycle is over they can bring you lots of joy. The tank that inspired me to go into this hobby (not my tank, a teacher's tank at school) had guppies in it, and being that they were males and females together in less than 10 gallons, it was a disaster, but they were so fun to watch.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Bettamay
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Bettamay
5 Gallon Tank New Betta glass surfing
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question