New Guppies Dying!!

BlueGrizzle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
I bought a male and two females guppies 5 days ago from a pet store and a female has died last night and the other one is in really bad shape!
Both females have what looks like a wound at the base of the tail and hide in a corner. They breathe really quickly and even though it was the only thing I noticed on the first female who died last night, the second female who’s still alive has 3 raised blood red spots around her mouth and a blood stain on her belly.
Background is:
I have a 10 gal fish tank with the 3 (now 2) guppies only and a few tiny snails. Heated, filtered and with a light. The tank has been running since December ‘18 and the parameters this morning before a 50% water change were :
GH 60ppm

KH 40ppm

pH 7

NO2 0ppm

NO3 15ppm

The tank used to have a Betta who died from a bacterial infection and I’m worried whatever killed him is still in the water?! Is that possible?

Attachments

BlueGrizzle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrate is 15ppm
And my test kit doesn’t look for ammonia, that’s why I just did a 50% water change. I’ll do that everyday for three/four days.
My tank hasn’t been running for a while but was fish free for 3 weeks. Could that have “ un-cycled” it?

Sorry , meant to say that my tank HAS been running for about 6 months but was without fish for three weeks, since my Betta died.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nitrite is 0 ppm
Nitrate is 15ppm
And my test kit doesn’t look for ammonia, that’s why I just did a 50% water change. I’ll do that everyday for three/four days.
My tank hasn’t been running for a while but was fish free for 3 weeks. Could that have “ un-cycled” it?
It is very likely it lost its cycle, was the tank dry or did you keep it filled?

I knew what you meant
Sorry , meant to say that my tank HAS been running for about 6 months but was without fish for three weeks, since my Betta died.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueGrizzle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I kept it filled and the filter running but only did one water change as there wouldn’t have been much organic waste output...
Also I have to confess that the fish bag fell of my little boy’s arms on the way back from the pet store and it might have stressed the **** out of my guppies

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I kept it filled and the filter running but only did one water change as there wouldn’t have been much organic waste output...
Also I have to confess that the fish bag fell of my little boy’s arms on the way back from the pet store and it might have stressed the out of my guppies
That could have been the corporate, in one of the pictures she appears to be in a breeder box. Is she?

BlueGrizzle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She’s in what I call my hospital tank, which is just a box hanging on the inside of my tank so that the water temperature is stable and heated. I’ve put her in with aquarium salts and Bettafix that I had left over from my Betta days... no pun intended! Just hoping to keep her wounds clean and kick the disease in the butt!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She’s in what I call my hospital tank, which is just a box hanging on the inside of my tank so that the water temperature is stable and heated. I’ve put her in with aquarium salts and Bettafix that I had left over from my Betta days... no pun intended! Just hoping to keep her wounds clean and kick the disease in the butt!
Does she have any decorations on the tank like plants or anything?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She passed away last night
I have lots of live plants and hiding spots. Now my male is showing signs of fin damage, so in the breeder box he went with some salts and bettafix ...
So the male is alone? If so I would say keep him in the main tank, as the breeder box is very stressful and could be the cause of your other fishes’ death

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom