New Guppies Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
1,681
Points
158
Location
México
I thought it was because of water parameters or oxygen but now we know that wasnt the reason. Where did you got the Guppys from? Maybe just bad stock?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #43
OP
F

freshwaterfish1

New Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
1
Points
28
Experience
3 years
Maybe....but the way they're dropping one by one. Every night there's one who hangs out by the surface and the next morning it's dead. I guarantee the yellow female will be dead tomorrow morning Is the timing coincidence? I feel like there must be more to it than just bad stock...

No, I don't believe the red near his eye is new. Just more visible in that lighting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sylviepld

Valued Member
Messages
192
Reaction score
21
Points
113
Location
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Unless I read it wrong it seems like you added a lot of fish at once which could cause a spike in ammonia which is very nasty and deadly for the fish. I didn't see if your ammonia was good or not. If your ammonia is high you should do a significant water change ASAP. Hope this helps
 

JRS

Well Known Member
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
1,045
Points
163
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
3 years
Unless I read it wrong it seems like you added a lot of fish at once which could cause a spike in ammonia which is very nasty and deadly for the fish. I didn't see if your ammonia was good or not. If your ammonia is high you should do a significant water change ASAP. Hope this helps
From what is in the thread the ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0 and nitrate - 5 (I think that is right - @freshwaterfish1 )
 

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
1,681
Points
158
Location
México
Ok @freshwaterfish1 , I am probably gonna sound stupid and I am sure I already told you about my 8 corydoras paleatus and how one hanged at the surface every now and then for 3 days and then died. The fish had his fins nipped but I wasnt really expecting him to die, I thought he was just gonna get back on his feet.
Looking back if that were to happen to me again, a fish hanging at the surface pretty weirdly this is what I wouldo do.

1- Give him a methylene blue bath, I know I know, I sound pretty stupid telling everyone to do methylene blue baths but my experience you can only do good with it. In my case it would have been even better because appart from completely oxygenating him I would have also made sure that no bacteria was in his fins. In your case unless they have an outside infection it will just help their blood transport oxygen way more better to all its body which will discard hanging at the surface because of lack of of oxygen, I also found it calms down my fish and makes them poop like crazy LOL.

2- After doing that I would put him in a small hospital tank with either a sponge filter or an airstone and I would leave him hang out there. I would make sure that the airstone is creating good enough movement and I would give him a dark place to rest in, a PVC tube or something like that for example.

3- I would then pray for the best and leave him alone. Not much you can do appart from giving him a well oxygenated stress free place to rest when you dont know what is happening to the fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #48
OP
F

freshwaterfish1

New Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
1
Points
28
Experience
3 years
For what it's worth, they survived the night....still concerned, though, but thank you for asking.

Is it normal for their poop to be long and stringy?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: JRS

JRS

Well Known Member
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
1,045
Points
163
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
3 years
No that is probably a parasite. Is it white?

@AllieSten I am wondering as I see you posting online now, do you know much about fish disease? I am out of my league or at least comfort zone.

I guess I should have asked you first if it is white. I know white stringy isn't right, but not sure about normal brownish if it was stringy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,689
Reaction score
3,611
Points
448
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
I just read through the posts to see if I could add anything. I don't know a whole lot about fish diseases. I would follow what @BeanFish has laid out. She is really knowledgeable about fish illness. Much more so than I am that is for sure.

I definitely agree that long stringy poop sounds like a parasite, but I don't know how to use methylene blue and prazipro at the same time. And it sounds like the tank needs both treatments.

The one thing I would do right away is a 50-60% water change. This can only help the situation. It won't stress your fish out more. It will give you a good start at getting them back on track. I would do a thorough vacuuming too while you are at it. Make sure you are using a dechlorinator for full tank volume when replacing the water. Clean water will help in the short term in most cases. To at least give your fish something to get through the next couple of hours.
 

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
1,681
Points
158
Location
México
So it is internal parasites? Then you can stop with methylene blue, I suggested methylene blue because we did not really have any symptoms appart from fish hanging at the surface which sounded like oxygen related stuff, and methylene blue helps wiht that. Methyelene blue is given in baths tho so I dont think it would affect any other medications.
PraziPro sounds like a good med to try, I am yet to found a place that sells all those medications so I would usually try to find the active ingredient of the medicines, do the math and hope for the best. If you have metronidazole hanging around at your house you can try and see if that will help, metronidazole helps with some internal parasites but not all, for example, I think worms do not get affected by it.
I use 250 mg of metronidazole (usually half a pill as almost all of them come in the 500 mg presentation) per 10 gal of water. I just chop it up pretty well, dilute it with water in a glass and add a little bit of lemon juice (it actually helps disolve the metronidazole so much better) to it, I mix it all again and add it to the tank. Works fine for me altough as I said, if you are dealing with worms you will probably need other stuff.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #52
OP
F

freshwaterfish1

New Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
1
Points
28
Experience
3 years
What do I do about the shrimps and snails?

Ok I have a 10 gallon that I can remove them to. It'll be here in a day. Advice in the meantime?

Sorry to clarify, I meant the prazipro will be here in a day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

JRS

Well Known Member
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
1,045
Points
163
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
3 years
I don't personally don't know if there is much you can do while you wait. Did you do a water change recently? Maybe someone else will have advice. I would probably keep the tank lights off to keep the stress as low as possible. I wish I could help more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

  • Yes

    Votes: 24 25.5%
  • No

    Votes: 8 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

    Votes: 62 66.0%




Top Bottom