New Guppies Dying - Page 2

lilabug4545

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guys! I think that this is a nitrite burn. While still being a tad bit better than ammonia, nitrite isn't much better. What you want to do is do about 4-5 25% water changes about 15 mins apart every 12 hours until you can get Tetra SafeStart+ to quickly finish your cycle. Even if you have no ammonia, your tank might not be cycled. Ammonia has to convert to nitrite, and the nitrite has to convert to nitrate. You can read up on it here:
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
If you want to watch a video instead, you can do so here:

JRS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
freshwaterfish1 said:
Oh, sorry. I meant ammonia. I'll check nitrates and nitrites a little later, but I still very much doubt that that's the problem.
It may not be, but it sounds very similar to the problem I had a few weeks ago. My nitrates were very high even though everything else seemed right. Once I did some water changes no more lost fish. Worth checking.

OP
F

freshwaterfish1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The 2 fish that have died are gone, so I can't take a picture of them. Do you want pictures of the live ones? They look entirely normal to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

OP
F

freshwaterfish1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
These 2 seem pretty normal now....don't wanna jinx it, but they're playing together and swimming normally and using the whole tank rather than just the surface.

Would you rather a video or picture?

JRS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
freshwaterfish1 said:
Nitrites 0ppm. Just tested
Are you able to test for nitrates? My ammonia was 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates >80 and the fish seemed fine then died shortly after.

lilabug4545

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Throw nitrites out the window, they don't have any red gills. How many was it that died?

Gorgeous guppies by the way! I'm jealous

lilabug4545

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is it possible that you got a bad batch? Watch them for the next 48 hours and if the rest develop any signs, let us know ASAP.

OP
F

freshwaterfish1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Will do. Thank you very much!

Oh my gosh....the 2 guppies were fine all day, but now the yellow one is hanging by the surface. Do they not like when I switch the lights? Is it stressing them out? I don't know what to do! It's always at night!

JRS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Have you tried a large water change? Were you ever able to determine the nitrate level?

OP
F

freshwaterfish1

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nitrate looks like about 5ppm. I did a 20% water change a couple of days ago, but I'm worried I'll only stress them out more if I do a larger change than that. She stopped hanging out at the surface for the last 5 minutes, but I'm still very concerned...

They're back to the top; both of them now. They don't look like they're gasping and they're a few millimeters down. Please help

JRS

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It is hard when you can't find a good reason for this. Hopefully one of the others will have more advice. I know how you feel. I can tell you I am here to support you but I =personally don't know what to do. I don't know if changing water at this point will help given the amm - 0 nitrite - 0 and nitrate 5. I haven't read the whole thread - do you have an airstone? Is the water surface agitated enough to make oxygen say from the filter or a power head?

New Threads