New Guppies Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by freshwaterfish1, Apr 12, 2017.

1. f

freshwaterfish1 New Member Member

So I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank that was cycling for something like a month and a half to two months. A few days ago, I bought 4 corydoras and 4 guppies. There are also 7 ember tetras in there that I'm temporarily keeping for my sister, so I know it's slightly overstocked, but that's temporary. There's also a cherry shrimp and 2 bamboo shrimp.

Yesterday, I woke to find a guppy dead and laying on the bottom. Body looked fine. I was worried maybe the current was too strong, so I turned it off tonight. I did notice one of my guppies was hanging out near the surface throughout the day, but she didn't look like she was gulping and she still ate happily. This morning, however, she was dead; again, body looks fine.

I'm really worried the other guppies will die as well and I don't know what's going on. Tested ammonia; it's 0ppm, not to mention the shrimp are doing perfectly fine, and I think they tend to be more sensitive to toxins. Other ideas please?! Thanks for your help!

Other info: 80°F; slightly acidic pH due to driftwood

2. Polyrhythm

Polyrhythm Valued Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    f

I gave them about 20 minutes of half their water and half mine. That's what I've always done for new fish.

4. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Have you tested for nitrItes? NirAtes?

5. HDavid

HDavid Valued Member Member

Could have been just regular stress, or his inbreeding fought up with him. Most guppies wind up being inbred and have health problems because of it. If just one dies it is more then likely just a fluke. If 3 or more die then it's something with your tank.

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

80 F is too high for Guppies.
    Guppies like the water on the hard and alkaline side.
    When the mineral content isn't high enough they go into osmotic shock.

7. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Where did you buy them? Is your tank actually finished cycling? How long were the guppies in the tank for?

As you said, your shrimp are fine, so I would suspect that the fish were just weak and succumbed to stress. It is really difficult to keep guppies alive from big box stores, from what I have seen most don't make it past 6months. I would try a smaller LFS or ordering from a trusted guppy breeder, whether from aquabid.com or a local.

8. OP
    OP
    f

Okay I'll try to answer everyone at once.
    1. How do I up the mineral content?
    2. I read that their range is 75-82°. 80 is too high?
    3. I bought them from a LFS that I trust very much. He is very knowledgable, and he and I know each other pretty well.
    4. How do I keep any more from succumbing to stress, if that is the culprit?

9. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Leave the pH like that.
    You added a bunch of fish in a short period of time maybe the filter can't support the bioload? Fish hanging at the surface is never a good sign. I got 8 corydoras paleatus recently that were in bad conditions, one of the 8 was hanging around at the surface a lot of the time. Guess what happened, it died.

10. OP
    OP
    f

But my corys are happy, shrimp are happy. All levels look good to me. I really don't think it's toxins.

11. TheFishGirl

TheFishGirl Valued Member Member

It also depends on what store you buy them from example : my pet quarters sold me guppies that ended up having dropsy. My petco has guppies full of ich. Petsmart has decent ones. My LFS always has ripped fins or females have birthing problems. I've actually gone to trying to buy online from home breeders instead.

12. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Like beanfish said, a bioload issue. Do frequent water changes over the next week or two, add Seachem's Stability after each change to aid nitrifying bacteria to match increased bioload.

13. OP
    OP
    f

If it were a bioload issue, wouldn't that be showing up in the water tests? Also wouldn't my other fish and invertebrates be showing signs?

14. D

What tests have you done? Just ammonia?

15. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

What are your exact parameters and when did you test your water?80F is a little bit high, are you sure you have enough surface agitation? Happy is a very broad and relative statement. And when there are bioload issues the weakest will die reducing the bioload and letting the other fish live, or at least that is what I think.
    The fact that they looked good on the outside does not mean they were healthy, if they were healthy they wouldnt have died. The only way to know for sure is by opening up the fish and getting gill samples, skin samples, etc... stuff most of us wont do because we lack resources to do a bacterial culture, put samples under the microscope and even the knowledge to open a fish up without destroying it, I tried opening that corydora up and it was a failure, the body was too small for the "tools" I had.

16. JRS

JRS Well Known Member Member

Did you test for nitrates? If using API, did you shake bottle 2 30 seconds and test tube for 1 minute. If not you can get false low readings.

17. OP
    OP
    f

Just did that. Still 0ppm

18. D

00ppm nitrates??... that's odd... you should have some nitrate reading in a cycled tank.

19. OP
    OP
    f

Oh, sorry. I meant ammonia. I'll check nitrates and nitrites a little later, but I still very much doubt that that's the problem.

20. D

Lol! yeah, ok... get the tests.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice