New guppies died...help!

Leigh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hello!

I bought 3 beautiful male guppies yesterday and added them to my 10 gallon tank which only had 1 Platy and 3 Cories. Water conditions were perfect and woke this morning to one of them dead and this afternoon the other 2 were dead. I don't understand! I'm scared to get more now.

very frustrated!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did u acclimate them?

Leigh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes I did for almost 30 minutes.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Only thing I can think of is a drastic variance in water parameters like ph, if the other tank residents are acting normal. Also couldve been sick fish, did they look stressed at all before you got them?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you test your water and post what your readings are now? Also just an fyI I noticed you use the tetra whisper filter I personally do not think they're a very good filter. They really don't clean as much water as you would think. I really think that might have had something to do with it but that's just a guess.

Leigh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, they acted fine. They were swimming around and looked great. The Platy didn't bother them. Temp is 78 and the tank was newly cleaned. The tank is a year old and doing great. Water conditions have always been normal. One of them was stuck to the filter. So confused! I've never had this problem before in the 2 years we've had all our tanks.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you check the water now tho dead fish should have messed with it a little and also that'd tell us if maybe adding the three fish through your tank into a cycle since compaired to you almost doubled the bioload by adding them and then your filter probably isn't high enough filtration for so many fish.

What do you test your water with a liquid test kit or the strips?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your water parameters are on target and you acclimated them well (it seems like you did), there's a good chance they just had bad bloodlines. Petstore guppies are overbred so they're not as hardy as some other species.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads