Question New Guppies, Constipation From Aggressive Male?

Cazrea

Reaction score
So I got a trio of Gold Cobra Guppies, and it was kinda my fault that I didn't read the footnote on the post that there were no females left. I ended up acquiring a trio of males. Well, one of them was aggressive but disengages pretty quickly because of the plants.

The first day their poop was normal, but the next day the aggressive behavior started and one of them ended up pooping a mix of clear and brown poop. The third day, it was normal poop from all of them. Today is their 4th day, and when I fed them this morning, one of them (the one that got bullied a lot, same one that pooped a mix of clear and brown poop) didn't poop. He was kinda bloated compared to the others, and almost 6 hours later I saw a white stringy poop. My very first betta years ago had stringy poop before, and learned it was parasites and treated successfully. I decided to google for when I should treat for parasites with guppies as he isn't wasn't lethargic or anything. I eventually concluded to wait and separate the aggressor.

As I brought the aggressor out, he pooped this weird mishmash (stringy first, pink, and then dark poop). I feed them twice a day, different things every time. Crushed pellets, flakes, freeze dried bloodworms. They also pick on the algae on the rocks that I don't want to clean since I'm growing out snails as well. Is it constipation due to overfeeding (general rule for me is 2 pellets/large flakes crushed up and one worm per guppy; but they graze as well), or could he have gotten constipated because of stress from the aggressor and/or new environment? How do I proceed?

Edit;
I added the aggressive male into my 5 gallon shrimp tank, he doesn't mind the shrimp but he's absolutely devastating the cyclops population. I have my cuttings tub with a ton of cyclops as well, but also this kinda painful to watch since I love watching cyclops. LOL

Attachments

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I'd fast them all for a couple of days to empty their gut & see if the bloating goes down you could also feed a little shelled & crushed pea to help their digestion, could just be from stress due to a new environment, but keep an eye on them & if they stay bloated with odd poo I'd start thinking about treating for internal parasites especially as they're new & you don't know what they may have brought with them from the shop.

OP
Cazrea

Cazrea

Reaction score
Seasoldier said:
Hi, I'd fast them all for a couple of days to empty their gut & see if the bloating goes down you could also feed a little shelled & crushed pea to help their digestion, could just be from stress due to a new environment, but keep an eye on them & if they stay bloated with odd poo I'd start thinking about treating for internal parasites especially as they're new & you don't know what they may have brought with them from the shop.
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I actually read it via my email yesterday, but I got pretty tired when I got home and finished setting up a new 7.5g tank. I took your advice and I didn't feed them last night. He's not bloated this morning, and has normal poop hanging when I checked. I won't feed them again today to see if they pass more poop!

The one I moved in my shrimp tank pooped white yesterday, but I assumed it was the copepods he's been feasting on. LOL It wasn't stringy, just white normal poop.

I actually got them from a known breeder in my area, which I found odd that he didn't contact me about ordering a trio of males before shipping them. Though, I don't think it's far off for people to order just males anyway.

They're still prone to getting sick or whatever due to the transport, so I picked up meds that contains Mebendazole, Matronidazole, and "Anti-Parasitic Solution". If I need to treat, the tank has a few snails (4 nerites, ramshorn hitchhikers I'm trying to breed), and I'm pretty afraid it'll kill them. Should I move my snails to my shrimp tank, and then treat this tank? Or should I do the feeding method (soaking food in the medication), and feed the guppies in a separate container until it sorts out?

My quarantine has a betta that I'm treating, and that's the reason I put them in my snail tank (I have a bigger tank with corydora in it that I'm going to put them in eventually). I assumed that if they were sick, most of the things they could get sick of wouldn't affect snails (I had ruled out parasites because of coming from a reputable breeder). I moved the aggressive guppy in the shrimp tank for the same reason, but I can move him back to this tank for treatment as it's easier for me to move snails than shrimp.

New Threads