New Gouramis, sexing and quarantine issues

OJteddy0824

Hello helpful wonderful Gourami ppl,

Just picked up 3 young 3 spots and they are currently in quarantine.

My first question... I was trying to get all females to keep aggression issues not fatal (if I'm lucky) and create a community for my sweet bored male. Anyone skilled at sexing gourami? It was tough for me to tell cause they're not mature... the pale one is about 1.5" and the other 2 about 2". I had an employee help me pick out the 3 I got, but I trust you guys more.

My second question... They're fighting already. My quarantine tank is small (15 gallons.. my display is bigger 50g). I want to protect my male Gourami (in display) so I was going to have the 3 sit in quarantine about 3 weeks or more just to be safe... But I feel like some of the aggression could be from a small tank size. And will this cause unnecessary stress? Any suggestions for a better solution?

jinjerJOSH22

Hallo
So they're too small to say atm, they start showing dimorphism at around 2.5".

As for the qt, eh, though space will contribute towards some aggression, it's also fairly normal for them to chase and peck at each other. I'd just keep an eye on it for the time being and if it get's really bad, make the decision then.

OJteddy0824

Ty! So there is one that is going a little nuts with chasing (is that more male behavior? Or is it just dominant fish behavior?) The others are starting to hide. No torn fins yet. I just put the aggressor in a breeder box to see if the other 2 can get along. The aggression tends to go up and down... And I want to see them resolve pecking order. But I also don't want to lose a fish so soon from stress.

DoubleDutch

I'd say at least two have a deeper body / breast which would point towards female to me.

Indeed keep an eye on them.

jinjerJOSH22

More dominant fish behaviour than male behaviour specifically but males will usually take charge if there is one.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom