new gourami tank

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I just cycled and started a gouramI tank. I have 3 of them in a 20 g tank. A gold honey, a flame, and a powder blue (all dwarf). They are a little shy, which I expected at first. What I did not expect was the powder blue is bullying the other two. Will this end or am I going to have tob find a solution.

I should include the powder blue was in the tank one day earlier. Please lend some advice.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ppate1977 said:
What I did not expect was the powder blue is bullying the other two. Will this end or am I going to have tob find a solution..
Did you research them at all first? It's only going to get worse till 2 of them die.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I did research a lot and over and over found advice and information about them beinf peaceful in a heavily planted tank.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, that's not the case. Didn't you do a search on the forum? There must be 1000 threads on the subject.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Gourmais are territorial. Only ONE male Dwarf GourmaI per tank unless it's a male/female combo. Honey Gourmais prefer to be in groups and are more peaceful then the Dwarfs but other then that you need to take TWO of the Gourmais back or you will continue to have issues or a death. Some have tried to keep them in a 55 gallon and not had any success.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks peeps. I do have one male and 2 female. Guess I may be making an exchange tomorrow. The llfs employee told me I could put rams in, but that I didn't believe. In a few hours the bullying has slowed down though. I have 14 plants in the tank

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So is returning two of the fish my only option? Have there been cases where people have had success with this? Even if rare. They don't fight at the fish store. Lol

What do you all recommend as tank mates? (Something "new" to me (see aquarium profile)

I need to hopefully get responses soon beause I work early and need to go on my lunch to my lfs

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could do one ram in a 20 gallon tank after returning two of the gouramis of course. I wouldn't advise more than one, though. I couldn't get my two rams to behave in the same tank until they were in a 55 gallon.

In regards to tank mates, rasboras, tetras, etc all make excellent tank mates. See what you like at the LFS and come post it here and we'll be happy to help you verify compatibility. They have koI swords out now too. They're gorgeous!

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Today I watched my gouramis for a solid hour. No bullying, they seem to have all settled into their own areas, while occasionally swimming together! I may wait a little while and see if this works as I love the look of the tank. As I said earlier, I have read posts where people have no problem with multiple gouramis.

How do they keep like 30+ in a tank at the lfs with no bullying? It makes no logical senxe to me.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ppate1977 said:
Today I watched my gouramis for a solid hour. No bullying, they seem to have all settled into their own areas, while occasionally swimming together! I may wait a little while and see if this works as I love the look of the tank. As I said earlier, I have read posts where people have no problem with multiple gouramis.

How do they keep like 30+ in a tank at the lfs with no bullying? It makes no logical senxe to me.
As they get bigger, I think your problems are going to get worse.

As far as the LFS, please keep in mind that those are temporary accomodations for these fish. And they most likely do have some aggression issues. We see on these threads all the time that people bring home beat up fish. And my LFS never has dead fish in their tanks for customers to see. They go through all day and remove any. But the fish do die (they admit it)... so in the case of my LFS, one wouldn't know about aggression issues even if there are any, because the FS is meticulous about cleaning the tanks of dead fish.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ppate1977 said:

People posting that they keep multiple DGs are usually new. They'll report it working because it's worked for a few weeks, or even a few months. It is VERY rare that there are reports of multiples HAPPILY coexisting longterm.

Meenu is right about the LFS keeping 30 in a tank.

Also, aggression doesn't always mean fighting.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From my experience, the bullying will continue and get worse until you remove the aggressor or end up losing a fish or two.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks guys and gals. All good advice that I pretty much figured would be given, lol, but I had to try and find hope. They are all so beautiful fish, its tough to decide whom to keep. I already have a few cardinals, I want more exotic tank mates. Any suggestions.

I appreciate all the advice so far, I totally trust each of you that responded.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
so I took your guys advice and returned the powder blue gouramI and got a male and female GBR. Looks like a better fit. Thanks.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ppate1977 said:
so I took your guys advice and returned the powder blue gouramI and got a male and female GBR. Looks like a better fit. Thanks.
That still leaves 2 gouramis.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, my bad... I also returned the honey.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Advice on GBRs is they are sensitive to water quality. They need clean water, low nitrAtes & a stable temp. I tried to keep two and was unsuccessful. Good luck with them, they sure are pretty.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads