New gourami laying down a lot and has a bump... should I worry?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Daac, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Daac

DaacWell Known MemberMember

I bought a honey gourami just ove a week ago and it has been in qt since I got it. Recently it has been laying down on the sand and it has no visible problems with it other than two dark spots that it had when I got it which I think are nothing although I have no idea about them for sure and it has a big lump in its body right before its tail. I don't know what this is but if anyone could tell me that would be great. I'll try to get a pic up soon.
    Picture1226121422_1.jpgPicture1226121421_1.jpg
    You can kinda see the lump in each. It is on both sides of the fish.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. grfresconero

grfresconeroValued MemberMember

Sorry can see it properly is it female,if she`s got rounded fins top and bottom she could be ready to hatch
    see if you can at first shadow the lighting ,

3. OP
    OP
    Daac

What do you mean by shadow the lighting? You think she might be pregnant?

4. OP
    OP
    Daac

Ok I checked and the tips of her fins are rounded over. So should I still be worried about her since she is laying down a lot? Also how do I deal with gourami fry I have never bred fish before... is there any change they will survive?

5. OP
    OP
    Daac

Ok I had forgotten that most fish aren't livebearers so I know that these eggs will not be fertilized so I know there are no fry coming however the gourmai is pretty much the same as it has been the whole time. Not getting worse or better. It still lays on its side on the bottom all the time but it alive and swims around a little bit occasionally. What can I do to help or is there nothing? Any ideas on what it is or how I could help the fish at all? Thanks.

6. OP
    OP
    Daac

Ok well yesterday I found the gourami finally dead. I still have no idea what is causing every gourmai I ever get to die within a week or two of my owning it. No matter what they just seem to die off. Usually they don't have they lethargy and other symptoms this one had. Also this gourami's scales were all sticking out when I found it... could that mean anything or is that just a normal thing when they die?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice