New Goldfish With Injured Fins Please Help!

FishKeeper332

Hello,
After cycling my new pond for 2 months I was finally excited to get some new goldfish. I got three goldfish which I have come to realise now that the ones I picked out are rather small and fragile although this is the only one I'm having a problem with. As usual, I went out in the morning to feed my fish and noticed one of my fish by the pond filter not moving. I then realised that it had got itself stuck on a bit at the end of the filter I didn't yank its tail back out or anything I gently massaged it and it came loose. ( I have placed a filter bag over it so it can not happen to the other fish) The goldfish went straight to the bottom of the pond and did not seem to be doing well. This afternoon I saw that it was still laying at the bottom and not moving so I have taken it in and placed it in a bucket with some of the hair algae for it to graze on and hide in. I'm thinking of keeping this fish by itself in the bucket and doing daily water changes and keeping an eye on it for the moment. Is there anything else you think I should do and am I missing anything out here? Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thank you
Edit: I have received some advice on another aquarium forum to start using aquarium salt to help treat the goldfish which I will begin now as well

IMG_20210520_160500076.jpg
IMG_20210520_160514699.jpg
IMG_20210520_160519139.jpg

BigManAquatics

That should be enough to get it to heal if its going to. Probably was a bit in shock after being stuck to the filter!

Upvote 0

FishKeeper332

Hello Again,
Over the course of today, there have been many new things that have happened that I need some advice on. Firstly I have attached some pictures below of the goldfish and this is the state I found him in this afternoon. As you can see it appears that at least half if not most of his tail seems to have detached and there is now this white fuzzy stuff around the base of his tail which I'm not sure if it is an infection or what it could be. Weirdly as soon as I put him back into his bucket after putting him into the container to take the pictures I noticed that he began to start foraging for food at the bottom and attempting to eat which since this incident happened he has not shown interest in at all. Once again any advice or feedback is appreciated.
Thank you

IMG_20210524_162102334.jpg
IMG_20210524_162052227.jpg
IMG_20210524_162044400.jpg
IMG_20210524_162037144.jpg

Upvote 0

jtjgg

very honest here, i would have euthanized it as soon as i found it stuck to the filter with a mangled tail. from these recent pictures the damage appears to have gone beyond just the tail and to the body. usually in these cases the tail fins will not grow back.

the fuzzy stuff, i believe is fungal infection. generally, clean water and lots of water changes can help, but this looks like it will need medication. I would got with both antifungal and antibacterial treatment.

Upvote 0

SuperSword48

very honest here, i would have euthanized it as soon as i found it stuck to the filter with a mangled tail. from these recent pictures the damage appears to have gone beyond just the tail and to the body. usually in these cases the tail fins will not grow back.

the fuzzy stuff, i believe is fungal infection. generally, clean water and lots of water changes can help, but this looks like it will need medication. I would got with both antifungal and antibacterial treatment.
Fungal infections lead to bacterial infections, treat both. I second jtjgg.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question
Replies