New Goldfish, Thing In Gill, Gill Cover Stuck

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by raisin, Apr 18, 2017.

1. raisin

raisin New Member Member

I just put a baby goldfish in my gold tank last night. She when apparently in very good health at the store.

This morning, a bit after feeding, I noticed a white thing that looks like white cooked fish meat coming out of her gill cover. The gill cover appears to be stuck shut, and she is swimming a little awkwardly.

Parasite? Food (she's only eaten one pellet)? Should I grab her and yank it out with tweezers? How much do I have to worry about my other golds getting this? :((((

pics to come soon.

2. OP
    OP
    raisin

raisin New Member Member

The thing is gone- maybe the others ate it.
    Her gill is still clamped shut, and the pectoral fin on that side is kept close to her body, with minimal use.
    Could this just be damage from shipping? I had her on a plane in a somewhat deflating bag full of plants.

3. OP
    OP
    raisin

raisin New Member Member

Well she died. Last night she was hopelessly bopping around upside down in the current. Did a 60% water changed. Dead this morning.

The only test I have is ammonia, which was 0 before she was introduced to the tank. My only local pet store refuses to acknowledge that water can be tested outside of the home directly (and they're fish all are sick, so..shows what they know) so I have no other parameters. (she came from out of town, by the way)

4. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear it. : (

Maybe the traveling and new environment were too much for her.

There's a lot of details we don't know, but I hope your future fish have a smoother transition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice