New Goldfish Tank!

happygolucky

Okay, my MTS is way too strong, but whatever . I'm thinking of a 40 gallon tank. Would an AquaClear 50 be enough, or should I get a 70? I live in California, so it doesn't get too cold, but I want a heater for peace of mind, so what wattage should I get? I'll have an air pump running because I have heard goldfish love oxygen!

As for stocking, I'm going into this totally blind. What kinds of goldfish could I have (not exactly interested in the big bubbly-eyed ones), and how many could I have? Would more filtration mean more fish? Any help is appreciated

Dom90

For a 40 gallon with goldfish, you could probably only do 3 or 4 fancies at the most. You'd also be better off with a canister such as a Fluval 306 or even a 406, since they're really messy.

poeticinjustices

HI there happygolucky!

Goldfish - super fun!

If you're going with a HOB, I would go with the AC70, maybe even the 110, I forget thw gph on them. Generally, you want a filter that turns over approximately 10x the tank volume in an hour (400gph)- goldies are messy. Just be wary of the strength of the output knocking around your goldies. With the bigger filter, you may not need or want the air stone. I like the AC filters but for a goldfish tank I have to agree, a canister filter with a spray bar is a better option overall but the AC is my favorite HOB and you can certainly make it work.

Stocking - in a 40 gallon you are definitely looking at fancies (the rounder, fat bodied ones with double tails) but the good news is there are tons of fancies that aren't bubble eyed! Ranchu, lionhead, oranda, fantail, ryukins are the ones you are most likely to find.

Check this link out to get a good idea of how many fancy varieties are out there - good luck!

happygolucky

For a 40 gallon with goldfish, you could probably only do 3 or 4 fancies at the most. You'd also be better off with a canister such as a Fluval 306 or even a 406, since they're really messy.
Oh boy that price tag on the 306, sacrifices will have to be made . Ah well, that's the fish hobby for ya. Could I actually forgo the heater, our house gets around 55 degrees at night during the coldest parts, and during summer as we cool the house down the temperature swings....

Do all fancies get to be around the same size? I thought that, for example, fantails got only 6 in, while orandas could get up to 10in. This isn't true? I'm liking Orandas and fantails, perhaps the ryukin but they look a lot like balloon mollies.

poeticinjustices

Oh boy that price tag on the 306, sacrifices will have to be made . Ah well, that's the fish hobby for ya. Could I actually forgo the heater, our house gets around 55 degrees at night during the coldest parts, and during summer as we cool the house down the temperature swings....

Do all fancies get to be around the same size? I thought that, for example, fantails got only 6 in, while orandas could get up to 10in. This isn't true? I'm liking Orandas and fantails, perhaps the ryukin but they look a lot like balloon mollies.

Personally, I wouldn't forgo the heater. Like all fish, a stable temp is the best temp. Sudden swings are never good and fancies are a bit more sensitive than their long bodied brethen.

They don't all get to be around the same size and yes orandas and moors can be among the larger varieties but there's a lot of factors that affect size - genetics, food/water quality. My largest oranda just got his breeding stars. His body is 4-5" and with tail he's probably about 7-8". But I have another oranda I have had almost 2 years who is still very small for her age.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably only keep 2-3 in a 40g. The larger the tank, the more wiggle room you have.

I'm not terribly familiar with the ryus so maybe someone else can chime in on them.

happygolucky

I may just have to get a larger tank then! Hmmm, maybe PetSmart or Petco can have a huge tank sale during Christmas time, and perhaps the Fluval filter for my birthday? I'll make it work

What brand heater do you recommend?

Also, are there any goldfish that seem to have too many health issues? I like the cute pearl scale, but I would never buy them if it means watching them have trouble with their giant bellies. Same goes for Oranda, is the wen ever too much?

Dom90

For health issues, I heard the ones with the telescope or bubble eyes usually don't live as long as the other kinds. Some superstitious people also think the black ones, black moors don't live as long either.

I would just get the Fluval off Amazon if you can, it's much cheaper. Usually $30-40 less than big box stores.

poeticinjustices

Haha I love it. It really is fantastic to have them in big groups, they are very social.

If you're looking for money to save on the filter check out the SunSun. I have the 304B on my 75g. They're big filters with tons of room for media and they run like a beast and are dirt cheap (mine was $90). The only catch is they are a little chincy and the lid tabs sometimes break.

As far as heaters go, I've only ever used cobalt aquatics and I love them. I think a lot of people like the Eheim ones. You'd be well served by making a separate post in equipment.

Fancy goldfish in general are prone to some health issues as a result of breeding for those exaggerated traits, particularly swim bladder swim bladder problems. It's sort of the nature of the beast with fancies. But you can take some precautions by feeding high quality food, not overfeeding, offering veggies and clean water. This goes a long way to helping prevent these issues. Though, yes, every pearlscale I've seen has eventually had some sort of buoyancy issue.

The wen can and does sometimes overgrow the eyes. The black oranda in my avatar has an overgrown wen but truthfully it hasn't caused much issue you just have to make sure he finds food, which is easy because my tank is mostly bare bottom. My other orandas have proportionate wens that don't seem to cause any issues.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Maxwell09
Replies
Views
Desi
120 Gallon Tank Goldfish Tank Help
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
oldsalt777
Replies
Views
Greenfungaloo

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Goldfish Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom