New Goldfish Owners Help

1. angel23240 Initiate Member

Hello!

We "rescued" two gold fish from a fair (yeah, I know - not the best) about 4 weeks ago. Initially, they were living in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter. The other day, I noticed the one fish was turning back, which I learned was ammonia burns healing. Enter 20 gallon fish tank! I learned via the web and this forum that cycling should have happened, but given the conditions they were in, the small filter and space couldn't keep up with them. They were put into the new 20 gallon tank last night. No items from the smaller tank went into the new tank due to the bad conditions. We started the small tank using Tetra AquaSafe, but have switched to Prime for the new tank (we use prime for the hermit crabs that were "rescued" the same day). So, the new tank - all items were rinsed with tap water, then allowed to soak in a bucket of water treated for prime. Gravel and items placed in new tank - tank filled and then treated. Fish transferred shortly thereafter. After reading a thread on this forum, Tetra SafeStart Plus was added to the tank this morning (12 hours after fish transferred to new home).
    We also have the API test kit. Currently, nitrite/nitrate are zero, but my ammonia is still not right (between .25 ppm and .50 ppm - color was sort of in between). The pH is 7.6 (do I have to use the high range test too?? that was 7.4). Do I need to do something about the ammonia level or give the SafeStart more time to work?

The filter that came with the tank is an Aqua-Tech Power Filter, model 10-20. It says he has a carbon filter that needs to be changed every two months, but I've read that changing filters disrupts the good bacteria in the tank......confused on this.

The larger fish - his fins are pretty black - I feel horrible that this happened to him, but he definitely seems much happier in the larger tank. The smaller fish - has a few black spots on him, but this afternoon I noticed that the tip of his tail is clear - is this something I need to be concerned about?

Do we need to add any sort of algae eater to the tank?

Even though we were kind of thrown into ownership - I definitely want to give these little guys the best life I can (I feel bad for all of my former goldfish that I had as a child - they were kept in bowls - yikes!). Also, any suggestions on how to keep the larger fish from hogging all the food??

Thanks so much!

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Right now I would leave it

The carbon can be changed but leave the rest of the media

Could you post a picture?

No and most "algae eaters" are incompatible with goldfish anyway

Try hand feeding them. Most of my goldfish learned pretty fast.

If these are single tailed goldfish they need 150 gallons minimum. They get huge, I had one which was over 1 foot long but they can reach nearly 2 feet and are active fish that need room to swim.

If they are fancy goldfish they need 40 gallons minimum

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Any photos of the fish with ammonia burns and black spots?
    No, you do not need an algae eater. All it does is add ammonia into the tank.

4. angel23240 Initiate Member

I know they will need a bigger tank, but don't have room for much bigger right now. They are still small - I may have to look for a pond at some point to re-home them.

How do I post pics?

5. Secret Oasis Member Member

1. IMO I would keep an eye on the ammoina levels if they continue to rise and the others are not i would start doing water changes.
    2. Since you're dosing prime, prime detoxifies ammonia up to 1ppm i believe.
    3. I wouldn't bother changing the carbon filter im going to assume its the all in one media where the carbon is sealed in the media. The directions telling you to change it every 2 months is practically a scam and harmful for the tank. I dont change mine and when its dirty, I rinse it in old aquarium water that you take out of the tank and put it back in.
    4. For feeding another idea is you can try feeding greens attached to a Veggie Clip they will nipple away at it over the day.

Edit: posting pics you can click on upload a file on the bottom right of the reply box

6. angel23240 Initiate Member

It keeps telling me the photos are too big.....

7. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Take a screenshot of the photo and post the screenshot.

8. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

You can also reduce photos very quickly and easily at picresize.com. The 50% default option should do the trick.

9. angel23240 Initiate Member

sorry about the technical difficulties - I think I got it now....

Attached Files:

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

From those pictures I can't see an issue with the fins. If they have white around the edge it could be fungus.

11. angel23240 Initiate Member

So now the smaller one is just sitting at the bottom of the tank - didn't come up to feed.....he's just sitting there.
    The goldfish with the black on the fins didn't come to us this way, so I'm assuming it is healing from the ammonia burns based on what I have read.