New goldfish has huge cysts warning graphic picture

ButtercuptheOranda

So I got pumpkin today and rehomed mango unfortunately but I got pumpkin cause I felt bad for him he has these huge cysts and like white pimples on his face does he need surgery I put paragaurd in there and medicaTed his food with kanaplex anything else I should be doing?by the way he’s pretty lethargic my numbers are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 30 but I just did a big water change
Here’s another pic
my friend is a vet tech and said she could remove them I’m just scared of infection
I did a water change so the paragaurd isn’t in there anymore debating adding salt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 62

ButtercuptheOranda

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gal tall
How long has the tank been running?since September
Does it have a filter? Yes 2 sponge filters and a submersed filter
Does it have a heater?no
What is the water temperature?70-72
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 fantail goldfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every few days
How much of the water do you change?50%
What do you use to treat your water?prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?yes
What do you use to test the water?api liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20-30
pH:7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish?a little amount
What brand of food do you feed your fish?new life spectrum and bug bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
freeze dried brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?just today
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Big cysts some look like they have pus or something
Have you started any treatment for the illness?not yet waiting for someone’s input
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?yes
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?it’s kind of lethargic
Here’s my idea putting pumpkin under with clove oil and removing them with a clean exactoknife and removing them and then use melafix or salt in the tank

Upvote 0

Dechi

Here’s my idea putting pumpkin under with clove oil and removing them with a clean exactoknife and removing them and then use melafix or salt in the tank

To me it sounds barbaric. The fish won’t be anesthetised with clove oil and will suffer greatly during and also after, with now open wounds instead of cysts. It might not even survive this.

I would try to find medication for it and treat it in aquarantine tank. Aquarium salt might help also. If your friend is a vet tech, ask her if she can get some appropriate meds from the vet instead.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

To me it sounds barbaric. The fish won’t be anesthetised with clove oil and will suffer greatly during and also after, with now open wounds instead of cysts. It might not even survive this.

I would try to find medication for it and treat it in aquarantine tank. Aquarium salt might help also. If your friend is a vet tech, ask her if she can get some appropriate meds from the vet instead.
Ok I will do all those things
Btw she doesn’t work at the moment so she couldn’t get meds

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

This looks like it may be carp pox. Keep the water as clean as possible, otherwise you may want to try a 1.5% salt concentration treatment (completely dissolve 3.5 tablespoons per ten gallons in a bit of tank water before adding to tank.) I agree that you should not attempt to remove the bumps, and that it'd be advisable to contact a vet who you know that treats fish.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

This looks like it may be carp pox. Keep the water as clean as possible, otherwise you may want to try a 1.5% salt concentration treatment (completely dissolve 3.5 tablespoons per ten gallons in a bit of tank water before adding to tank.) I agree that you should not attempt to remove the bumps, and that it'd be advisable to contact a vet who you know that treats fish.
Ok I added melafix and pimafix last night sorry I didn’t see your response should I put carbon in there and add salt?

Upvote 0

LanceDog

Aside from the tank being a 20 gal with a goldfish and insufficient size...I would find a fish vet. It will probably be expensive, but if you value your goldfish and want him to live his full life, it'd be worth it. And yes, fish vets do exist. There's a mobile one where I live!

Upvote 0

Dechi

Aside from the tank being a 20 gal with a goldfish and insufficient size...I would find a fish vet. It will probably be expensive, but if you value your goldfish and want him to live his full life, it'd be worth it. And yes, fish vets do exist. There's a mobile one where I live!

Around here they are very, very rare, like almost inexistent and it costs around 150$ for a visit... It’s just not doable for fish, even if we value them.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

If it is carp pox, then it is caused by a type of Herpes virus. I don't think there is a cure. Fish with strong immune system may not show it but they will be carriers even when they look like they are cured. I wouldn't mix these fish with others.

On the other hand if these are tumors, removal may actually be an option. Not sure about the best removal option though. I have seen something about cryo removal, probably similar to how a dermatologist removes moles.

Upvote 0

ZachG

I’m so sorry. Wish you the best.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Ya I looked and there all mobile where I live I’ll check one out
If it is carp pox, then it is caused by a type of Herpes virus. I don't think there is a cure. Fish with strong immune system may not show it but they will be carriers even when they look like they are cured. I wouldn't mix these fish with others.

On the other hand if these are tumors, removal may actually be an option. Not sure about the best removal option though. I have seen something about cryo removal, probably similar to how a dermatologist removes moles.
I read that IF it’s carp pox they could be removed but not needed so I’m torn cause I don’t want him living with tumors you know

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Ya I looked and there all mobile where I live I’ll check one out

I read that IF it’s carp pox they could be removed but not needed so I’m torn cause I don’t want him living with tumors you know
Since there are so many bumps that's what I automatically think: carp pox. I doubt pimafix or melafix would help this situation, the salt may help a little. I agree, in case it's carp pox make sure to quarantine this one away from the others. Unless it's hanging by a string, I probably wouldn't try removing it yourself. In case of tumors you could try an apricot seed feed mixture.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Since there are so many bumps that's what I automatically think: carp pox. I doubt pimafix or melafix would help this situation, the salt may help a little. I agree, in case it's carp pox make sure to quarantine this one away from the others. Unless it's hanging by a string, I probably wouldn't try removing it yourself. In case of tumors you could try an apricot seed feed mixture.
It really doesn’t look like carp pox to me it looks like tumors the only thing that looks like carp pox is on his gills and face those are more like little lumps but the things on his sides look like tumors but then again I’m no expert
Here’s something I found
I guess no one will ever really know without a sample

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

It really doesn’t look like carp pox to me it looks like tumors the only thing that looks like carp pox is on his gills and face those are more like little lumps but the things on his sides look like tumors but then again I’m no expert
Here’s something I found
I guess no one will ever really know without a sample
Your right, I found it odd too. Carp pox is usually more on fins/gills/face then body, and they're also usually more small and compact. I'm just not used to large groups of tumors of goldfish, never heard of it until now. I might even just see if you can call the vet to ask some questions and see if they'd have advice or treatment options. An appointment wouldn't be practical for a fish, and probably more expensive. There is a tumor treatment I know, but it unless it's indeed a tumor issue it probably won't work.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Your right, I found it odd too. Carp pox is usually more on fins/gills/face then body, and they're also usually more small and compact. I'm just not used to large groups of tumors of goldfish, never heard of it until now. I might even just see if you can call the vet to ask some questions and see if they'd have advice or treatment options. An appointment wouldn't be practical for a fish, and probably more expensive. There is a tumor treatment I know, but it unless it's indeed a tumor issue it probably won't work.
I agree and one more question. So hypothetically if pumpkin doesn’t make it for some reason wouldn’t the water be contaminated do I have to drain the whole tank and recycle it?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

I agree and one more question. So hypothetically if pumpkin doesn’t make it for some reason wouldn’t the water be contaminated do I have to drain the whole tank and recycle it?
I'm not sure about that, I bet you could reuse it, but I would thoroughly clean it. Btw, carp pox just kind of goes away sometimes as the fish's system learns to fight it off I guess. Tumors probably won't though, and they can be deadly as you might know.
Edit: Yeah I'd do a salt treatment. Forgot to respond to that, sorry.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

I'm not sure about that, I bet you could reuse it, but I would thoroughly clean it. Btw, carp pox just kind of goes away sometimes as the fish's system learns to fight it off I guess. Tumors probably won't though, and they can be deadly as you might know.
I’ll talk to my vet tech friend she’s coming over tomorrow to look at him though she’s no expert

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

I’ll talk to my vet tech friend she’s coming over tomorrow to look at him though she’s no expert
That's neat, best of luck to you and your fish! Please tell us how it goes. Hey it's better than nothing.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

That's neat, best of luck to you and your fish! Please tell us how it goes. Hey it's better than nothing.
I will! thankyou for your help

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Well at 9:55 pm pumpkin died I’ve never been so sad about losing a fish

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Liv2011