New GBR

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Bijou88, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I couldn't resist and got a beautiful blue ram yesterday afternoon and have a few questions already.

Is this a male or female? Yesterday I was fairly sure it was female, but I'm not quite sure. ..

I've noticed some aggression towards the cories during evening feeding (shrimp sticks) but not during afternoon feeding (flakes/pellets) is this fairly normal? She/he very much enjoys flakes and has a nice, healthy appetite, but she/he was nipping at the cories when I put shrimp sticks in last night. Nothing too bad, and no apparent damage done.

Will she/he bother my mystery snails? After a few pecks at the ramshorn snails in qt, there's been little interest but since I have a bunch of mysteries in what will be her final home I wanted to double check that this shouldn't be a problem.

She/he has colored up a lot just since yesterday afternoon. Please excuse the ramshorn explosion in the photos, they're being removed later today as they served their purpose of keeping my cycle afloat in between fish.

Any help is appreciated! Dom90 :) Anders247
    Also, she's only about 1.5" or so, including her tail so she's pretty young.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Male. He doesn't have a red belly or the dots of a female.

EDIT: Not sure.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Hard to tell as it's quite underfed. Feed it up for a week or two and it's colour should improve more. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

I thought it looked a bit on the skinny side too, luckily feeding isn't a problem since it's got a great appetite. :) the cories sharing the qt need some fattening up too as they came a tad skinny also.

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Looks like a female to me.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd just monitor behavior within the next few days. You say they're in the QT right now right? How big is it and how many fish are there right now and what kind?

7. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Yep, it's in qt for the next few weeks. It's a 20g tall with the GBR and 4 tiny albino cories. And a bunch of ramshorns until they're removed. The ram seems to be ignoring the cories today so far, it may have just been antsy last night, I'll keep an eye on everyone.

The permanent home is my 40 breeder btw.

8. Dom90

Ok sounds good maybe it was just the cories got too close for comfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

I think also since it was the ram's first meal here and it seems under fed it was maybe just being possessive over the food. That's what I'm hoping anyway since that was the only time I saw it bother the cories.

10. Dom90

Well you know that pet stores don't exactly feed full rations to their stock... So let's hope you're right. Tyguy is having similar problem of aggression with his BR...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

I saw that, it's a shame :(

Yeah, pet stores aren't exactly in danger of overfeeding, lol. This little one was in a tank with about 10 other rams too, some of which were showing mating behavior so I have no doubt that it was quite a fight for food. I'm about to feed them dinner so we'll see how it goes. I think I'll try both flakes *for the ram) and a shrimp stick (for the cories) and see if it still gets aggressive over the food. That's how it will typically be fed in the 40 anyway.

12. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

o_O Every pet store near me heinously overfeeds their fish. The idiotic employees tend to dump huge handfuls of flakes that are bigger than the fish, into each tank. 3 times a day. I would be surprised if the big box stores all over the country underfed any fish. There's a reason most of their fish are in poor shape.

However, a lot of the fish don't eat because of stress, bullying, or a gazillion other potential issues.

Food aggression is pretty common in many fish. Even totally peaceful species. My cories war with the barbs in their QT for sinking pellets every day. One of my wild type bettas that's extremely mellow will beat the heck out of his mate at feeding time if she goes near him. The rest of the time, in relaxed mode (not when breeding) he is completely and totally peaceful and even cuddles up to her frequently, just to hang out.

I doubt if it's anything to worry about. Fish will develop their pecking order, that's just how things are.

13. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Wow, all of the stores around here (even the big box stores) under feed the fish, they're almost always just a little too thin when you purchase them.

Just fed everyone dinner. Zero aggression from the ram, it even munched on a shrimp pellet right next to the cories and didn't bother them a bit. :)

14. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

They aren't in stores long enough to get skinny from underfeeding. I would assume most of them either are sick (most of the fish in stores around me have both parasites and bacterial infections) or have been too stressed for at least a few months to eat, being moved from the fish farms to the postal system/shipping service to the stores.

Glad your lil' dude is getting along well :)

15. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

She's coloring up a bit more for me! :)

Attached Files:

16. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Today she figured out how to eat flakes from the surface instead of chasing them around, I lifted the lid and she swam right up to the top and begged, lol. I take this as a good sign. :)

17. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Nice ram!

18. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Thanks! She's still doing well, very active and has turned in to quite the little pig, lol, so she's put on a little weight finally.

19. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

She passed away today while I was at work, no idea why. She showed zero signs of stress or illness in the days prior. :(

Tank was at 80 degrees, perfect water parameters. I know rams can be tricky but I expected her to show some signs of stress if she wasn't doing well....

20. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your loss. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice