New Game: Name that Plant!!

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I actually had the opportunity to buy some more live plants. Where I live these chances are few and far between. Unfortunately the lps didn't know what they were and they were not labelled. I took them, quarantined them awhile, checked them for snails and gave em the clear.

Unfortunately I don't really know what I'm dealing with. I was poking around on plant geek but didn't come up with any luck because I have no idea how these classify and alot of the plants all look the same to me :-\

So I thought I would post a pic and see if anyone here could help out, since everyone here is SO smart!!

42.jpg

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Far left and top look like moneywort, others I don't know but they look more like plants that will require stronger lighting.

_Fried_Bettas_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is also a plant board on this site, although I've had no response at all to my post there. Doesn't seem to be too many people around here who have knowledge in plants, and the plant websites I have found list 100's of plants and no way to narrow down a search. Does anyone know a good place too find this information?

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
hang in there. try to get either atmachine or butterfly and isabella they are great with live plannts. they will surely know where you can get the answers from. atm is becoming quite the knowledgable one with plants

good luck

regardfs Dazzler

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The red plants look like my Cherry Hedge plants, which I just learned are not truely aquatic. Hm :-\

A few of them look like a Bacopa sp., and I have no idea what the 2nd from the left is (the green one between the Bacopa looking one and the red one)

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have sort of the problem with plants I buy from the local fish/plant shop. Only difference is, they know the names of the plants and tell me the name before I buy them, but by the time I get to the car, I forget .

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The top one looks kind of like Lysimachia nummularia commonly called pond penny
The one farthest to the right looks like Ludwigia repens

Carol

marek313

Reaction score
I think the one on the right is Ludwigia Repens as well. I just ordered one it should be in the mail. From what I've read it will get more red with stronger light. i cant wait I have 3 more red plants coming.

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help! Really appreciate it!

Any idea what would turn green leaves white?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A good thing to do BEFORE buying plants is head over to plantgeek.net copy all the names and print off pictures of plants that you like that are in the light range that you have, bring that to the store and then try to ID the plants yourself.

Lack of light?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent idea ATM
Carol

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as great an idea as that is, I don't really have that option where I am. I live in the middle of nowhere and I have no selection to go look and and select from. So on the very rare occasion I can get plants here I can either take them or leave them regardless of what they are. I usually try to take them to see if I can get some of them to work out at least.

And it's usually very difficult to get anyone to ship plants here, my last two shipments arrived frozen....

So I just have to make do with what I can

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Icicle how close are you to : Thunder Bay, Northwestern Ontario, Canada ? Their is a shop run by one of the guys at plantgeek.net. he is also a Mod and very reliable. they also do mail order. Here is the website. The store is called Thunder Bay Aquascapes.
carol

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly,

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately that is 2200 miles away from me, plus I'm on an island so I would have to take an overnight ferry to get to the mainland.
So probably not a feasible suggestion to go there for plants

However, I will definitely check out that website!!! Thanks!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry I had no idea where you are in relation to them Maybe mail order from them would be good as they would be familiar with the area and how to successfully get plants to you alive.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom