New Fry

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Xentastic, Jun 29, 2016.

1. XentasticNew MemberMember

Hello! I'm new to FishLore. :;hi1
    I got 3 new mollies around a month ago, and I found out one of them was pregnant 2-3 weeks ago.
    She gave birth yesterday, and I fished out 30 of them, but a few died at night, and a good 20+ are alive and good.
    I have no idea how to care for them.
    What size tank should I have?
    What food should I feed them? (I have Algae Wafers, Fish Flakes, and Freeze Dried Blood Worms.)
    Should I add plants/gravel?
    I have a small sea snail, should I add him to help keep the tank clean?

Thanks! Any other advice would also help. :;tg

2. Greener907

Greener907Valued MemberMember

They can be pretty well set in a 10 or 20 gallon (20 gallon would be preferred). I wouldn't add gravel, because when you use your gravel vac to clean, you may not see babies in the gravel and they could be sucked up. Having sand or nothing is better, because then they don't have anything to hide in and you can see them when you're cleaning. Plants are good though, it'll give them a sense of protection, especially if you do some hornwort on the top & let it float. If you do plants, you can use small terra cotta pots to "plant" them in with some gravel and that way you can move them around easier when you clean up the poo and leftover food off the bottom. Livebearers can eat very fine fish flakes..grind it into a really fine powder with your fingers and they will eat it. Bloodworms and dried mealworms when they get big enough to eat them(when they can fit in their mouths), variety is good for all fish. Snails are ok to add, they won't bother the fry. Also, do you have a heater/filter for the tank that they are going in?

3. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

What's your tank size, water parameters and is it cycled? Follow Greener907 s advice, do water changes very frequently (also recommend a sponge filter because it won't suck up babies) and before you know it you will have 20+ teenage mollies on your hands!

4. creeden511

creeden511New MemberMember

When my swordtail had fry i only had 6 but i put them in a breeder box that floats in the tank, they have been in there for 3 weeks now. I fed them crushed flake food and all 6 are still alive and well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice