New fry tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by guppygrl, Dec 5, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

Just wondering how many fry I can keep in a 10 gallon tank? I have 48 new guppy fry and 10 month old fry.

Thanks.

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

if they are fry i would say pretty much all of them but they will outgrow it pretty fast and that is when you start dividing them in to new tanks

3. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I wouldn't consider the 10 month olds fry anymore, since they can make more fry for you already :p

I agree with OTF though, the 10 gallon is fine for the newborns but will outgrow it in a couple months.

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Just make sure you keep the water very clean. Take out uneaten food and change the water as often as you reasonably can.

P.S. I read recently (unverified) that some types of fry produce a chemical that stops others around them growing, to give them a better chance. Hence the water changes for rapid growth.

5. Ethan

if that is true that is awesome :eek:

6. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I meant 10 four week (1 month ) old fry not 10 months. :)

7. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I plan to give a majority of them away to my local lfs but I want to keep the best 12 or so for my own tank. :)

8. Ethan

you should at the least try to get a little out of the lfs and if they don't bite then give them for free :p

9. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Water changes I am very good at... I'm used to several a week so thanks for the recommendation!

10. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

They may pay me but depends on the stock they have at the time. I will still try for store credit!

11. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Store credit at least. Then you can just stock up on non-perishables like water conditioner, test kit, frozen food etc that you will always need. I will have to research that water-chemistry thing for my own curiosity now. Feel free to chuck up some photos of fry as they get bigger/cuter!

12. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I will. Here is their one day old photo.

Attached Files:

13. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Looks like a fry infestation :p

14. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Lol the only welcome one in my house ! :p

15. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

They are in their own tank now. With a bare bottom it looks like there are double the amount!

16. Ethan

it is just because of the bare tank :p

17. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Haha yes I know. My daughter asked me why some were swimming upside down. Too cute. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice