New fry inside the community tank

Discussion in 'Molly' started by yoshio, Dec 9, 2012.

1. y

yoshio New Member Member

Hi
    About a week ago my mollies gave birth to about 15 fry. Hard to say which ones as I have 4 females and 1 male and there's 2 females very round at the moment. I would like to see if anyone has had the same experience of raising fry inside the parent tank. There's plenty of plants and ornaments to hide in, and I havent seen any getting eaten by the parents so far, although they do get chased occasionally but the fry are really quick. I don't want to put the fry into another tank yet, and definitely don't want to get one of those nets.
    Plants I have are banana lily (5 pads), some duckweed, hairgrass and cabomba (getting nibbled to bits).
    Ornaments are a small holey vase, large plastic plans and a broken bridge.
    Unfortunately I am getting a snail infestation but that may be a blessing in disguise as the fish mistaken them sometimes as fry and don't like the taste of them.

Thanks for letting me in the community.

Yosh the newbie

2. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

hello and :sign0016: to fishlore,. how old are the fry? the survival rate may go down but you should be able to raise some of the fry in the tank, ive kept guppy/mollie/platy fry with there parents about 1/2 get eaten but i usually have a good amount live so it works out

3. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Same I find an easy way to make sure of hiding spots is to poke a hole in the substrate under the ornaments so it is like a mini cave that only the fry can get in to

4. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome :;toast!

I have a "survival of the fittest" attitude. I don't take the fry out because it gives the other fish a change of pace in their diet. There are lots of plants and hidey holes for the fry to hide in. In fact right now I am looking at at least 6 silver mollies and some black mollies that are about 3/4" long. And there are also some tiny swordtails hiding in with the clown pleco. He seems to be the official fry guardian. I just hope the lfs will take them when they get bigger.

5. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Hi Yosh welcome to Fishlore!!

It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing here! When my fish first dropped their fry. I went through the task of trying to save every single one of them. Well then I ended up with over 200 juvie guppies and a handful of mollies.

So now I just leave them in the tank they are born in and let nature be nature. I still have quite a few who survive and thrive.

As a matter of fact, my 4 month old guppies have already dropped some fry of their own!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice