New Friends..... 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Aquagirl1978, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

So after another trip to my local Fish store to buy some betta fix, a new male betta and an ammonia test I came across some beautiful Guppies. After half an hour to 45 minutes of speaking to the store fish expert she talked me into the guppies. I thoroughly washed out and cleaned all the accessories from my 10 gallon betta spawn tank. Bought a triple filter nice new gravel a glass hood and some new plants. I now have 2 male fantail guppies and 4 females, two which whom are pregnant. I have never had guppies before and they are really beautiful fish, so I guess what im saying is, I know how to take care of fish but am not super familiar with guppies much less pregnant ones, any advice on these fun fish would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

guppies are easy! u can either sepperate the females when they are ready to drop (into a breeders net or seperate tank) or u can just let nature take its course and let the fry fend for them selves (if u do that, feed the adults a little bit more food so u loose less of the fry). they drop about every 29 days. guppies like all kinds of food (if it fits in there mouths, they'll eat it. my guppies and betta get all the same foods [except for veggie-like things], tho different amounts). i have TetraMin, BettaMin, frozen veggies, frozen brine shrimp and hikari sinking wafers.

3. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

guppies are hardy and easy to take care of, just give them a variety of foods and if you are interested in raising fry, i suggest to get a birthing tank, breeding net/box, or a tank divider to keep the females in once they are about to give birth. A much simpler way is to get lots of cover, like najas grass or java moss, a maybe even a substrate like the large glass rocks (they can hide in the cracks) and just let nature take its course.

4. Aquagirl1978Well Known MemberMember

Thanks all:;dolphin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice