New friends and new food!

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I'm still battling that cyanobacteria problem in my puffer tank. I've tried lots of stuff, and nothing's working. I'm throwing in the towel and giving up on keeping plants in there. I'll do a bleach dip then put them in my other tanks. I tried something else today. I got 3 nerite snails. Yeah, I know... snails in a puffer tank... I am getting desperate, lol. So, I also bought some new food. Mussel meat! Yum yum! I fed the puffers to bursting, then put the snails in. I think one's already been killed. Whoops. I hid the other two better, but who knows how long that'll last. Oh well it's what I figured. Maybe i'll just populate their tank with snails and hope that they go for the ramshorns and not the nerites.... I don't know really
On a related note, there was some mussel left over, so I tried it with my other fish, and my bettas and guppies all loved it! I'd never heard of anyone using mussels to feed their bettas lol.
So yeah, that was my epic adventure for today. I hope those snails make it. For once I don't want the puffers eating snails, lol.

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a good idea, I'll see what I can find.
This morning I found two snails, the third was not to be seen, and Pistachio had a suspicious-looking lump in his tummy...
I was sure they were dead, because they were upside down (the puffs flip them over to get to the nummy squishy parts) but I put them in with Winter anyways, and when I looked a while later they had moved somewhere, so I guess they're still alive!
I'm devising plans to get the snails back in there though... possibly put the puffs on 'time-out' while the snails do their thing, or maybe put the snails in right after lights out and then remove them in the morning, although that one's a bit risky, since the puffs are usually up before me.

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jess- thanks for the link.
I'm hoping that I can bide my time until the 80g is done cycling, and then I'll dose the whole tank with erythromycin since it'll be empty (no fish)

Mike19

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know of four methods you can use i think you have probably tried them.

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Water changes-check
Black outs-check
Medication-nope, it'll kill my cycle. But after the puffers move out it's my next step.
CO2 and fertilization-check, but my plants weren't doing too well in the brackish, and I found that each time I dosed it helped the BGA more than my plants, so the plants are gone.

My plan for now is just leave the lights off except for at feeding time, since the plants are gone now. And good waterchanges. Then wait for the 80g to finish cycling, move the puffs over, and blast the nasty BGA with erythromycin where it won't hurt any fishes.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey pink would "snail caves" help keep the little guys safe? they could hide in them until the coast was clear. Don't know if it would work or not though.

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's a snail cave?

Oh, so I found the missing snail in the puffer tank. And I think it's still alive!
If it survived 3 days in the puffer tank, then I must say we've found the indestructable snail...

pinkfloydpuffer

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks I've been keeping the lights off almost all the time and that is slowing it down a lot! And after the puffs move out, then i'll dose with erythromycin to kill off the rest of it...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom