Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

New Friend!

1. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

i was at the store today and saw they had these adorable birds so i impulsed bought one lol.

its a little female parakeet who is 8months i believe. not aggressive just a little skittish as she isnt tamed yet. thinking of calling her Mimi but not sure yet. i am open to suggestions!

IMG_20180614_185932.jpg
    will get a better pic once she calms down....she is like my betta, hates the camera

2. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Shes adorable. I have 2. A male & a female. His name is Sky and her name is Blue.

3. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Avocado, lime, toast, kiwi, scales

4. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

thanks! budgies are one of my favourite birds because they are so lively and social. i really cant wait to get to know her and hopefully tame her eventually lol

5. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

you made me a little hungry lol but those are good options

6. Iverg1

Haha thanks I mostly name my fish out of color like my first betta was blue so I named him Gandalf cause Gandalf is kinda blueish gray
    My second guys name is yondu from GOTG

7. GoldFiska

GoldFiska Well Known Member Member

I hope that isn’t its permanent cage?

8. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

No it isn't im hoping to upgrade it once I'm able to find a larger cage

9. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Makes me miss my Perkys. Had one growing up then got another after I got married. He had a lady friend named daphie. I had to have two huge cages. If daph went into perky’s area, he had to move to the other cage. And vice versa. Goofy. Enjoy your new friend for many many years. :)

10. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

Thanks. I had one growing up as well although he wasn't very friendly. Haha yes they are pretty silly birds. I'm definitely enjoying her company but taming her will take a bit since she is still a bit skittish

11. Gypsy13

The one I had when I was young took showers and we had a hen. A white hen. Perky was always “riding” the hen. We thought, as kids, Perky wanted to be a cowboy. Would’ve been such cute bbs if they could’ve. He talked some but not as much as the one I had when I got married. He did the Sha Na Na thing and whistled the theme to Andy. He also said some colorful things. Naughty boy! :)

12. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

Haha that's adorable. My mom had a few birds who were troublemakers and would say colourful things as well but I was never able to get a bird to talk.

13. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

found her a new cage! im thinking of getting her the Vision Bird Cage L01 as it is pretty affordable (its on sale) and much bigger then her current cage. the reviews on it are good so im pretty hopeful, there wasnt much difference in sizes between the large and medium. although they are more wide then long.....might have to get a new table to replace what the cage is currently on though XD as i dont think its wide enough

the large is 17 long x 31 wide x 22 high
    medium is 16 long x 25 wide x 21 high
    current cage dimensions 13 1/2 long x 11 wide x 16 high

i do plan on having out of her cage very often once she is comfortable enough. i also got her some vitamins to add to her water as she is currently on a seed diet and got her a swing as my old bird loved his but she is scared of it right now lol

also got a orange flavoured mineral block which will do the same thing as a cuttle bone for her beak figured she might like it a bit more then cuttle bone. she has calmed down quite a bit but not completely, she chirps every so often especially when she hears the birds outside.....currently wishing i had a better camera XD
    IMG_20180619_194534.jpg

14. Gypsy13

You can do it. I can tell you it’s easier with a male than a female. :)

15. Gypsy13

Get the large. Every inch helps. :)

16. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

yeah i just ordered it now after doing a bit more research on it. it wont be here for a bit so it also gives me a bit of time to get her used to me before trying to transfer her to a new cage, since it will likely be a pain lol
    i have a female currently but thanks! i do have a bit of confidence with teaching her although i do need to get used to talking to her since im not the most talkative XD

17. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

My grandmother always had parakeeets. She taught all the males to talk. The smartest one was named Tommy and he had a large vocabulary but kept chewing his tail feathers off. Closest I ever had was a male Cockatiel named Dusty. He learned a few words and could whistle Dixie and the Andy Griffith theme.

Funniest thing with birds I ever saw (and this is absolutely true). I was in a pet store owned by a lady who raised Amazon Parrots. She had a Yellow Nape on a perch next to the counter. The bird kept whisting Dixie (his name was General Lee) but completely went silent when a new customer walked in. The guy went to look at the bird and asked the woman what kind of bird it was. General Lee says "I'm a Bald Eagle" and everybody laughed. That's not the best part though. Another guy walks in and tries to get the bird to talk with the standard wanna cracker stuff. General Lee looks the guy straight in the face and says "Birds can't talk !"

18. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

hahaha that is the funniest thing ever. i love it when petstores have animals hanging around like that, makes them seem more friendly especially when its a sassy bird like that

19. Iverg1

Have you picked a name?

20. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

yes i have decided with Mimi as it kinda just stuck even after i tried naming her something else XD

21. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

New cage came in! Ended up going with the medium but it's a lot bigger then I thought it would be. It barely fits on the stand. It could possibly hold two budgies IMG_20180626_185402.jpg IMG_20180626_185407.jpg

Advertising