New friend named Beau and some questions

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks everyone. It doesn't look like a scrape of a scar. There's no raised patches and is not fuzzy. The best way to describe it is a discoloration. It almost looks like he got white paint on him and it didn't wipe off clean. Sorry, I don't know how else to describe it.

It started on Friday last week and has gotten bigger and more white/grey since.

Redlessi: I remember seeing pics of Bleu and had thought that Beau looked like Bleu ut I couldn't remember who had Bleu.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You know, it might just be a patch of discoloration. I was just looking at pics of my Liam when I first got him (he's my white/maroon bi-color VT) and when I first got him he had a little patch of red on the top of his head...now the whole top of his head is red and it has traveled down his spine, but only on the very top, it hasn't "spilled" over to the sides. So, maybe it's just a small discoloration like Liam's.

Etcetera

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He could be marbling a bit, but usually bettas don't do much color-changing after they're all grown up unless it's in response to an injury. How old is this guy? Does his discoloration look similar to the changes in this article?

If there is no change in the texture of the scales and no change in behavior, I don't see a reason to medicate. Just keep the water clean and consistent. Do you have a heater and a test kit?

Also, fin rot will show up as dark and crusty. If the edges are clear or white, then it's a sign of healthy regrowth, and will color up in time.

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Etcetera said:
He could be marbling a bit, but usually bettas don't do much color-changing after they're all grown up unless it's in response to an injury. How old is this guy? Does his discoloration look similar to the changes in this article?

If there is no change in the texture of the scales and no change in behavior, I don't see a reason to medicate. Just keep the water clean and consistent. Do you have a heater and a test kit?

Also, fin rot will show up as dark and crusty. If the edges are clear or white, then it's a sign of healthy regrowth, and will color up in time.
It doesn't look like this is what's happening. The first picture in my original post is pretty clear. I'm thinking it is likely due to ammonia burn. I'm not sure though because this started showing up Friday last week and I was already sneaking in daily water changes and using Prime from the beginning of that week starting on Monday.

I won't be medicating as his appetite is really good, he's very energetic/active and seems really happy. I'm just going to give him food soaked in garlic juice, do pwc every two days and add stress coat. maybe the blotch will disappear on it's own in time. If it does get worse, maybe by then I'll be able to tell what it is.

I have no idea how old he is. I just know that he arrived in our office this last Christmas. He's a pretty big boy and makes the tank look smaller than I thought. I have a spare 10 gallon and I think I may set that up for him since he loves to zoom around the tank so much. He's actually pretty fast, LOL.

Thanks again everyone.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on saving that beautiful betta! If you can get vitachem, garlic guard and/or fish protector you can add those daily to his tank to boost his system. Look for a product called rid-fungus to have on hand if he gets a fungus in the future. It's organic, herbal and safe to use, even when you're not sure of a fungus without being harsh to his system.

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also I wanted to add my Crown Tails fins were like that when I got him but they are slowly getting better.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom