New friend named Beau and some questions

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Everyone. Well, I finally have a betta. He used to live at the reception counter at my work. His old condo was a one gallon vase with a plant. He has been living in this since Christmas as it was a present that our receptionist received from her friend.

I didn't pay much attention to him at first because I couldn't stand seeing him in the vase. Problems started when the plants roots started growing really fast and it left little room for Beau to swim about. This is also when she cut back on water changes because the frequent water changes were making the plants leaves yellow.

I usually get off work at 4:30 but have been waiting in my car until she leaves work so that I could sneak back to change his water. I also cut some of the roots to give him room, which I get chewed out for.

Last week he started to get a greyish white blotch on the top just behind his head which looked like fungus. The ends of his fins are also looking pretty bad, splitting and curling.

She didn't think he was very "handsome" anymore and thinks he is wrecking her plant so asked if I wanted him. I jumped at it and he's home with me now in a nice warm 5 gallon filtered tank. He's so happy and is loving it and the bloodworms too.

My question is about his fins. Is this fin rot? If so, what do you think I should do for it? He's not easy to take a pic of because he comes racing up to the front glass when I go to the tank.

Attachments

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Woo Hoo! Now there is a good rescue!
Hmm... I'm afraid I can't tell you much from the pictures other then he looks happy in a real tank rather then being squished by a plant.
See how warm fresh water works before you start worrying about meds. One his immune system is able to function properly he should perk up. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more advice.
Good Work

hooxeii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What a sweetheart! Glad to see he's found a great new home

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just had to add this pic. He's peeking out from under the anubias leaf. He's so funny!

Attachments

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awwww

Sounds like he's got plenty of personality for you

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'd be too embarassed to call this a rescue because I wanted him SOOO bad. I'm glad I didn't have to go to the extreme of butchering her plant in order to get her to give him up. That would have been shameless of me but I'm pretty sure that would have been my next step.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What a good story. And a lovely betta, he seems like the fun type lol. As for his fins I cant really tell so much. Do you think you can get a better picture of them?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From those pics it doesn't *look* like fin rot. When one of my boys had fin rot, the edges of his fins looked kinda fuzzy and then they'd drop away. Beau's fins just look like he maybe shredded them a little on the plant roots in his old vase. He is a beautiful boy and looks very happy in his new home, though!

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's hard to get a good pic. He's just sooo excited and zooms right over to the front so he's not under the light. I got these pics with the flash on this time. He flared because of the flash LOL.

Aw, who am I trying to kid. It's a real toss up as to who is more excited, Beau or me. We're both racing around hooped up on adreneline, LOL.

Attachments

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, that just looks like ragged fins from poor treatment to me. He sure is beautiful!

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Awesome. So it sounds like pristine water and garlic soaked food is in order. If there's any other advice or suggestions, Beau and I will be very grateful to receive them.

I love him!!!

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Agreed with Bassbonediva. I think he'll he fine in a nice clean tank.

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ooops, in all my excitement I forgot about the blotch on the top of his head. I think you can see it in one of the pics in my original post. What do you think I should do for that and what is it? Fungus?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Doesnt look like any fungus I have ever seen..im not sure...

bubblefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The first time I notice that blotch was Friday last week and it has been getting bigger and bigger.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It almost looks like he smacked his head on something (or rubbed it hard on the plant roots) and it's just a little scraped.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Congrats on the new boy!!!!! He looks just like my Bleu...............

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It could be a scratch or he is scales changed color in one area. Bettas do do that when under stress. He has whats called a mask, which I have seen pictures of it changing when bettas are stressed. Idk though I might be wrong.

Krissbettagary

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My blue guy has that same white spot on his head. It hasn't changed, but I can't figure out what it is either. Interesting to know about the stress. I hope my Gary isn't stressed, but I can certain understand if he is getting a new tank, going through the cycle, the fast current issues. I'll be interested to find out more about his spot.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It could just be some kind of bad scar...idk. lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom