New Fresh Water Aquarium- How to Tank Cycle

marinelove

Hi everyone!

I’m a new aquarium owner and I need some advice. I set up my new 25-gallon fish tank 2 weeks ago. I put in a filter, heater, water conditioner and fresh plants. I purchased 3 glow fish yesterday. I let their bags sit in the water for 20 minutes for the temperature to adjust before letting them into the tank. They seemed to be doing okay but they all passed away overnight.

I was reading about ammonia in the water and tank cycling. I’m a little unclear on how to do that and I’m concerned that may be the reason they didn’t survive.

hoping for some advice. Thank you!

kansas

You'll get a lot of advice about cycling. I put a lot of plants in and wait two months before putting in fish. Not many do it this was but it's worked for me.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Hi everyone!

I’m a new aquarium owner and I need some advice. I set up my new 25-gallon fish tank 2 weeks ago. I put in a filter, heater, water conditioner and fresh plants. I purchased 3 glow fish yesterday. I let their bags sit in the water for 20 minutes for the temperature to adjust before letting them into the tank. They seemed to be doing okay but they all passed away overnight.

I was reading about ammonia in the water and tank cycling. I’m a little unclear on how to do that and I’m concerned that may be the reason they didn’t survive.

hoping for some advice. Thank you!
Welcome to Fishlore :)

What were you doing with the tank during the 2 weeks before putting the fish in the tank?

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

The cycle can be confusing, but to summarize fish and decaying organic matter produce ammonia, which is toxic to fish. Bacteria develop on the surfaces in the tank that consume ammonia and produce nitrites, which is also toxic. A second bacteria type consumes the nitrites and produces nitrates, which is also toxic, but only in much higher concentrations. Nitrates are generally only removed by live plants and water changes.

The two most common ways to cycle a tank are fishless, where an artificial ammonia source is added to allow the bacteria colonies to develop before adding fish, and a fish-in cycle, where fish are added right away, and the water is tested frequently and water changes are done when needed to keep the ammonia and nitrites low.

Now that I have that out of the way, even though you added your fish to a uncycled tank, I wouldn't think three fish would produce enough ammonia to kill them in less than 24 hours.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Now that I have that out of the way, even though you added your fish to a uncycled tank, I wouldn't think three fish would produce enough ammonia to kill them in less than 24 hours.
I agree and that is the main reason for my question. :)

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

I’d say the fish died from the acclimation. Just temp matching isn’t good enough. You have to slowly add tank water to the fish bag till you double the amount in the bag. Usually a 1/2hr to an hour. Than scoop the fish out of the bag and add to tank. Don’t add the bag water to tank. Now your doing a fish in cycle. This requires changing the water daily to remove ammonia. Test kit required for both types of cycling.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Shambhalaubie
Replies
Views
Kate1018
Replies
Views
mattgirl