New Fresh 90g Build

Shortfuuzze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Currently have a 55g, but it's time for an upgrade and fresh start. Going to be moving to a new apartment in a few weeks.....so now's perfect time an upgrade. I need ideas for a colorful and active aquarium. I won't be transferring/keeping any current fish, will be selling tank/fish/equipment (long island,NY)

I would like to try and grow some real plants in this tank as well, so some suggestions on simple plants would be appreciated also(any filter media I should avoid with plants?)

Thanks for the help. A mix of fish is preferred over a single type

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OPTION 2: Discus. A bit pricey but it can pay off. OPTION 3: Asian community. Rasboras, loaches etc. OPTION 4: South American community. tetras, catfish etc. OPTION 5: fancy goldfish. OPTION 6: Australian rainbowfish. OPTION 7: assorted rainbowfish. threadfin, bosemani etc. OPTION 8: betta sorority. You would NEED to have loads of plants for this. OPTION 9: Livebearers. guppies, mollies etc. Really you have 100s of options with a 90.

Shortfuuzze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Discus-Tang said:
Here is my suggestion.

OPTION 1:
Malawi cichlids.
Beautiful fish, and you could fit many in a 90.
Are cichlids difficult to keep? Special requirements?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shortfuuzze said:
Are cichlids difficult to keep? Special requirements?
they get big, will rip up any plants and probably move the decor. They also need a special diet or else they could get Malawi Bloat.

Shortfuuzze

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Discus-Tang said:
they get big, will rip up any plants and probably move the decor. They also need a special diet or else they could get Malawi Bloat.
Rip up plants and move decor? That's not going to work for my OCD lol. I'm very meticulous about my tank.

They are amazing looking fish tho. I like the idea of their size 4-6"

I like a community tank, so I could have some diversity.

All input is appreciated

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
how about an asian comunity wit rasboras, loaches and a betta?

Also the Malawi cichlids come in many colours and if you got large rocks they would feel at home and they wouldn't be able to move them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom