New Forum Is Live

Mike

Thanks for your patience over the past few days! Saturday morning (my time) the forum went down and it was caused by one of the outdated addons used to run the forum. I've been wanting to migrate to Xenforo for the longest time just never had time to do it. Well... what happened Saturday forced me to do it.

This was a massive undertaking. It took about 30 hours to import all the members/threads/posts! Then I had to start figuring out how to manage the templates, usergroups, etc. Still learning the software and there is a lot left to do. I will be compiling a list of things the old forum had and will be on the lookout to add it to this version of the forum.

Things I know are still broke and I'm actively working on:
- The apps (apple and adroid)
- Gallery
- Style of the forum (colors, fonts)
- Helpful links like "my threads", "new replies", etc
- Broken forum links (to previous forum's threads)
- lots of other smaller stuff

If you encounter issues, please post them here so I can see them or send me a PM.

Thanks in advance for your patience during this transition! It will be for the best though.

Thanks,
Mike

Tanks and Plants

Hey Mike!

Thanks for all the hard work getting the forum up and running! I can only imagine how much work it must take!
I have a question... is December's Tank and Photo of the month still going?

And something small that I noticed is missing..... our stats (likes given, likes received, small things like that)

Great Job and Thank you for all your hard work!

CarpCharacin

It looks good! You might want to redirect all traffic through HTTPS.

ProtimAquatics

Thanks Mike ! You are great.

Lucy

Thanks Mike
Welcome back everyone.

Lchi87

Thanks for all the hard work you're doing, especially at such a busy time of the year. Happy to be back on and looking forward to all the changes!

bizaliz3

Yes!! Thank you Mike! Bad timing for sure!!
Change is hard and this new format will take some getting used to! but I am sure it will be great once all the kinks are smoothed out!
Thanks for everything Mike!

So....I see that the app is still down. And that was mentioned. But....for some reason the website itself is not working on my cell phone's browser. Any idea why? I still can't use fishlore on my phone due to the website not working on my browser. Anyone else have that problem?

Lchi87

So....I see that the app is still down. And that was mentioned. But....for some reason the website itself is not working on my cell phone's browser. Any idea why? I still can't use fishlore on my phone due to the website not working on my browser. Anyone else have that problem?
Kinda works on my phone ... I had to go through SafarI and type in fishlore.com

Also just realized I can't edit my posts....would love to be able to do so, so the mods don't have to keep merging my posts.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 144

Brian Rodgers

Thank you so very much for the hard work Mike. This looks great.

ProtimAquatics

After a few days we will be able to grasp this sight. But it is looking good.

bizaliz3

Any idea when we can expect the app to be working again?

ProtimAquatics

Mike is working hard to make the app work sooner.

bizaliz3

Mike is working hard to make the app work sooner.
I am aware of that. I just was wondering if there was an estimated length of time. Are we talking hours? Or days? Just curious.

Corydora Pro

Thanks for all your hard work Mike! I love the new forum software, it looks great!

clk89

Thank you Mike. I imagine it is going to be a lot of work for this new forum. It's going to take some time getting to use to for sure.

ProtimAquatics

I am aware of that. I just was wondering if there was an estimated length of time. Are we talking hours? Or days? Just curious.
Possibly a few days.

ryanr

Thanks Mike

For everyone, obviously this new forum software works differently than the old, so while we all get used to it, let's be a little patient with each other.

Some of the "How Do I's" obviously no longer apply, and as we figure it out, we'll update. If any member figures something out, and wants to update some of the stickies, we'll all be most grateful

Corydora Pro

Found one small issue, when you go onto the forum, the website favicon changes to the XenForo favicon.

bizaliz3

What would be the equivalent of the "what's new" section on the old format? The closest thing I can find is "recent activity" which includes when people like something, or if they change their avatar, or change other things in their profile....among other things I'd rather not see when looking for threads to respond to.
The "new posts" section is a little different than the "whats new" section on the old format. It only has the most recent post in a thread and you can't see the beginning of what was said in each post. If I remember correctly, there was 'new posts" section in the old format and I preferred the "whats new" section since you were allowed to see every post from each thread along with the first couple sentences of each post.

Is this an ok spot to put our heads together and ask these sort of questions? Or should I start a new thread for this sort of thing?

Lucy

This is more of an Forum Issues thread so Mike can look at things that may be broken.

It might be a good idea to start a thread in the How Do I section.
This way members can help other members navigate the new layout.

Keep in mind, Mike is still working on the forum. I'm sure we'll be seeing changes as time goes on.

From the first post:
Still learning the software and there is a lot left to do. I will be compiling a list of things the old forum had and will be on the lookout to add it to this version of the forum.

Things I know are still broke and I'm actively working on:
- The apps (apple and adroid)
- Gallery
- Style of the forum (colors, fonts)
- Helpful links like "my threads", "new replies", etc
- Broken forum links (to previous forum's threads)
- lots of other smaller stuff

Lucy

**Edit button missing for established members.

ProtimAquatics

Yes, the edit button will be very helpful.

NHFarmer

I just managed to find my way back here by searching for the fishlore forums in google... FishLore home page is still directing people to the old page () instead of here (), where a "Sorry, the forum is down for maintenance." message is displayed. I thought it was down forever or that I'd done something naughty without remembering it and had somehow been exiled from fishlore. I'm using Windows 7 on an older laptop with IE 11, if that information helps any - I'm very glad to be back!!!

bizaliz3

Mike you are awesome! Just so that you know!! LOL Thanks for all your hard work, and again, I am so sorry about the timing of all of this!!

I just want to add a suggestion (for later, no rush) if it is something that can be changed.....The recent activity area shows every time someone likes someone else's post. Imagine how messy that will get when everyone is back on and TONS of people are liking things left and right, all at the same time!

So if there is any way to make it so that doesn't show up in recent activity, that would be great! Once everyone is back...the recent activity area will consist of mostly "likes" rather than actual posts! LOL

NHFarmer

Mike you are awesome! Just so that you know!! LOL Thanks for all your hard work, and again, I am so sorry about the timing of all of this!!... Once everyone is back...the recent activity area will consist of mostly "likes" rather than actual posts! LOL
I just did some looking around and noticed how quiet it's become! Mike, I agree with bizaliz3, thank you for all the work you've done - I run our family business web site, and I understand how frustrating web stuff can be! However, is there a way to fix the link from the main page for computer users? That might explain why everyone isn't back yet!

CindiL

I just did some looking around and noticed how quiet it's become! Mike, I agree with bizaliz3, thank you for all the work you've done - I run our family business web site, and I understand how frustrating web stuff can be! However, is there a way to fix the link from the main page for computer users? That might explain why everyone isn't back yet!

Oh good point. I didn't realize that wasn't working until you mentioned that and I tried it out!

Corydora Pro

The aquarium forum tab on the FishLore.com website is working fine, and directing to the forum. But the URL: "FishLore.com" needs to be redirected to the new forum.

I understand how frustrating website development can be. I run my company's website and it can be quite frustrating at times.

jdhef

Wow, it's good to be back! Thanks for all the hard work Mike.

Aquaphobia

Yay! I thought you guys would never be back up and running! That or I thought I'd been kicked off the forum and the only way you could get rid of me was to completely overhaul the place so I couldn't find it I got here by asking @bizaliz on her youtube page how to find you

Aquaphobia

How do I edit a post? I just realized that the name I tagged (bizaliz) didn't become a link like it used to with an "@" symbol in front of it. Is there a new way? Watch, it will probably illuminate without that symbol now

bizaliz3

How do I edit a post? I just realized that the name I tagged (bizaliz) didn't become a link like it used to with an "@" symbol in front of it. Is there a new way? Watch, it will probably illuminate without that symbol now

That feature is missing along with several other things. Mike is working on resolving all the little hiccups!!!

bizaliz3

Oh... and actually... your tag didn't work because you forgot the 3 at the end of my name hehe

Lucy

I've started a How do I Mega thread here:
Help: - Navigating The New Forum Layout

Re: Editing your own post someone said members can't (yet)
Being a moderator I can't verify that since I can edit almost anything mwah hahahaha

Aquaphobia

Oh... and actually... your tag didn't work because you forgot the 3 at the end of my name hehe
*headdesk* LOLOLOL

Ok Lucy, my next question. Can we multiquote? You think I was bad when I was new here, just wait til you see what I'm like when I knew my way around and suddenly have to relearn everything

bizaliz3

*headdesk* LOLOLOL

Ok Lucy, my next question. Can we multiquote? You think I was bad when I was new here, just wait til you see what I'm like when I knew my way around and suddenly have to relearn everything

bizaliz3

*headdesk* LOLOLOL

Okay that didn't work LOL go check out this sticky for multI quotes. It was updated today

Mike

Yes!! Thank you Mike! Bad timing for sure!!
Change is hard and this new format will take some getting used to! but I am sure it will be great once all the kinks are smoothed out!
Thanks for everything Mike!
Apps are still a work in progress. Hopefully mid next week they will be updated.

Found one small issue, when you go onto the forum, the website favicon changes to the XenForo favicon.
Perfect. Thanks. Adding to list.

What would be the equivalent of the "what's new" section on the old format? The closest thing I can find is "recent activity" which includes when people like something, or if they change their avatar, or change other things in their profile....among other things I'd rather not see when looking for threads to respond to.
The "new posts" section is a little different than the "whats new" section on the old format. It only has the most recent post in a thread and you can't see the beginning of what was said in each post. If I remember correctly, there was 'new posts" section in the old format and I preferred the "whats new" section since you were allowed to see every post from each thread along with the first couple sentences of each post.
Is this an ok spot to put our heads together and ask these sort of questions? Or should I start a new thread for this sort of thing?
Working on a sidebar and links to display that type of info. Lucy started another thread linked above.

Think that should be fixed now... if not let me know.

I just managed to find my way back here by searching for the fishlore forums in google... FishLore home page is still directing people to the old page () instead of here (), where a "Sorry, the forum is down for maintenance." message is displayed. I thought it was down forever or that I'd done something naughty without remembering it and had somehow been exiled from fishlore. I'm using Windows 7 on an older laptop with IE 11, if that information helps any - I'm very glad to be back!!!
Clear browser cache completely and restart web browser.

Mike you are awesome! Just so that you know!! LOL Thanks for all your hard work, and again, I am so sorry about the timing of all of this!!
I just want to add a suggestion (for later, no rush) if it is something that can be changed.....The recent activity area shows every time someone likes someone else's post. Imagine how messy that will get when everyone is back on and TONS of people are liking things left and right, all at the same time!
So if there is any way to make it so that doesn't show up in recent activity, that would be great! Once everyone is back...the recent activity area will consist of mostly "likes" rather than actual posts! LOL
Should have something workable soon.

That's been fixed. Clear browser cache and reload.

The aquarium forum tab on the FishLore.com website is working fine, and directing to the forum. But the URL: "FishLore.com/" needs to be redirected to the new forum.
I understand how frustrating website development can be. I run my company's website and it can be quite frustrating at times.
Clear cache and reload.

*headdesk* LOLOLOL
I just multI quoted like a mad man!

Thanks for the feedback everyone and your continued patience!
Mike

NHFarmer

I can't figure out how to quote part of the multi-quote using high-tech methods, so I'm resorting to old school:

NHFarmer said:
I just managed to find my way back here by searching for the fishlore forums in google... FishLore home page is still directing people to the old page () instead of here (), where a "Sorry, the forum is down for maintenance." message is displayed....

Mike said:
Clear browser cache completely and restart web browser.

It worked, it worked, eureka, it worked!!!

NHFarmer

Thank you, Mike, you must have been burning up the midnight oil last night!

CindiL

Hey Mike, edit button still is not there, just FYI.

Aquaphobia

I see a multiquote button! Yay!!!

CindiL

Perhaps if you can put a message in place of the current one that says the "Forum is down for maintenance" will help people find us again?
Put something in there that the forum is back up but they need to clear their web browers cache in order to see it? or something like that.

NHFarmer

Perhaps if you can put a message in place of the current one that says the "Forum is down for maintenance" will help people find us again?
Put something in there that the forum is back up but they need to clear their web browers cache in order to see it? or something like that.
Hmmmm... good thought, but unfortunately I suspect that the page will not be updated unless the web browser cache is cleared. Before I cleared mine, I hovered my mouse over the forum link and saw that the link was to the page that announces that the forum is down. After the cache clearing, the link changed to the proper url. It looks like the cookies need to be cleaned up before new pages are visible. Maybe I'm wrong, though, I often am!

Corydora Pro

Hey, I found a problem. Everytime I try to post it says "this comment is awaiting moderator approval and is invisible to normal visitors"

NHFarmer

Dang, I don't see a way to edit, so I'll have to do it here... I meant to say, "It looks like the cookies need to be cleaned up before new CHANGES are visible," not "pages." I typed this correction several hours ago, and THOUGHT I forgot to hit the "Post Reply" button, but just now I saw that the reply did not post. Strange....

And now it did - I had to go into "More Options" and click "Post" there instead.... maybe I'm doing something wrong?

CarpCharacin

What happened to the media gallery?

Also, why don't you make moderator's username color blue instead of using the extra banner? It is very easy to do. Just out this in the username CSS field sof the moderating group.
Code:
color: blue;

Innocent159

Can you guys please post on facebook about the new forum being online. Some users waiting on reply

Aquaphobia

This morning my posts are not appearing immediately because they're under moderation. What did I do???

NHFarmer

Can you guys please post on facebook about the new forum being online. Some users waiting on reply
I can't - I'm not a facebooker... if you are on FB, would you be willing to pass the "cookie refresh" word?

Mike Lucy - I'm getting an interesting new message along with my posts: "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." Is waiting for moderator approval something that always happened before and I never noticed it, is it just for the "New forum is live" thread, or have I unwittingly stepped on some toes? Thanks in advance!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bettasXD
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
Mike
Replies
Views