New for betta care. Please advice. Help

1. saurav Initiate Member

Hi,

I have been into fish keeping for almost 4 years now. But never actually have had a betta. I believe that these fish have very distinct charateristics and personalities and hence need different kind of care. I'm currently staying in my school dorm and so place for a decently sized aquarium is a problem for me. However, I really really want to have a couple of bettas to keep. I have quite a few questions at the moment...it would be really kind if you guys can help me out with this.

*How can I keep my betta happy in a small fish bowl? Will it be wrong on my part to keep them in fish bowls or is there a way to keep them happy in it?

*How can I differentiate between a male and a female betta?

*The local fish store that I go to has 2 bettas that are living happily together in a small tank. Apparently these fish have not fought each other yet. How is this possible?

*I have a small tank that about 10inches in length, 5inches in width and 7inches in height. This tank has a glass partition that creates two chambers of 5inches by 5inches. I used this tank for growing my guppy fry. Can i keep two bettas in this kind of setup without harming them? (The partition can be painted with an opaque color so that the bettas cant see each other.)

*My local fish store has a white betta. Since I have never seen a white betta before I would want to know if this fish is healthy or is it showing some symptom by decolorizing? (the fish is uniformly white. it has dark and distinctly clear eyes. However it does not flare much, but i believe some bettas are lazy or rather moody and hence dont flare often.)

Thanks guys. Hope these questions dont seem to silly. :p

Best Regards,

Saurav

2. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Hi Saurav!

Good questions about Betta's. I have mine in their own 1.5 gallon and one in a five gallon tank that he shares with a Dwarf Gourami. Betta's are hardy fish, though I wouldn't really keep them in a fishbowl. They can, do and will jump. So if a small tank is available to you where you are, I would go with that, as long as it has a lid.

You will find on rare occasion that fry-mate males can be put together in the same tank. I wouldn't really try this, unless you really, really, know your fish. However if these two are getting along, then, as long as you can put them in the same size and configuration of tank, then as you can see with your own eyes, it works. Of course keep in mind, if you change things up between these two kids, all bets may be off.

White betta's are a breeder specific thing. Usually, the ones I have seen are NOT delta tails. They carry the crowntail (CT) Doubletail (DT), or halfmoon (HM) tail configuration.

There are a few brave Betta breeders out there that play alchemist with not only finnage genes but color genes as well, and pure white is an extremely hard color to come by.

As far as splitting your tank to 5X5. IMO, that is a wee bit too small. They do like to roam around their diggs so... I'll let you take it from here.

Michael

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Of course your questions are not silly. It's always best to research fish before you buy them.
    Here's out Betta Care Guide

1) A bowl isn't a good home for a betta. They're tropical fish and should have a heater unless your house is constantly warm year round. Their water should be 79-80F. They like a to stretch their fins and get a good horizontal swim. IMO, a 5 gallon, heated, filtered cycled tank is a minimum although some members have theirs in 2.5g's

2) Males fins are usually longer and flowy. Females, if old enough have a white spot between their anal and ventral fins.

3) I have no idea. The store keeper is asking for trouble, IMO. Sooner or later one will tire of the other and someone will probably be hurt or killed.

4) No, it's not big enough for 1 betta, let alone 2.

3) There is such a thing as white bettas. They're very beautiful. Sometimes their coloring can be off by being kept in the wrong conditions and will color up nicely when given a proper home.
    Of course, not seeing him, no one here can tell you if it's healthy or not.

Best of luck, I hope if you decide to get a betta you'll get it a proper tank. :)

4. saurav Initiate Member

Thank you guys. The answers were really helpful to fight my dilema. I guess i'll make space in my room for a 5 gallon tank, I'm totally struck by the betta bug. Can't wait for another year to get a bigger place.

I have selected two bettas at the moment. The white betta, that is a double tailed male. And a blue-red more like copper half moon betta. These guys are really very active and keep flaring around to my hand movements.

The place i stay in is very warm, and the water kept in room temperature is around 25-27 degrees celsius. So I'm hoping that I want need a heater right now. But will surely get one later. Here are a few more questions that I have, since I have decided to bring home the bettas.

*Are there any specific types of stones or gravels that I should look out for the bettas' new home or are they fine with just anything?

*Will plastic plants harm my boys?

*Can I keep a copule of angel fish with the bettas? or will they fight?

*What is the best way to feed them blood worms? I used to feel my other tropical fish with a tweaser. Will bettas adopt to this method? I'm doubtful since I read somewhere that human movements make the fish alert and aggresive and hence they dont eat.

*Is it necessary to give a variety of food to the betta or blood worms everyday shall keep them happy?

Thanks & Regards,

Saurav.

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Great info and advice above! It's great that you're deciding to get these cute lil' guys. Hope you really get one. If you can, just start with one betta and see how it goes.

Here's a few links that you might find helpful.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/14253-important-betta-topics-read-first.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/46452-dividing-tank-bettas-fun-low-cost.html

https://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm - to calculate the volume of your new fish tank to find out how many gallons it can carry.

Please keep us updated! Looking forward to your photos and your new betta ;D

6. theshiftys_jm Member Member

As far as keeping your betta with other fish. It's... Hit and miss. I've been lucky I guess as all of mine have stayed in community tanks at one time or another. The downfall to mine was the fact that they were more afraid of the "busy," fish than anything else. Mixing Angels and Betta's... I've not tried that yet but keep in mind your dealing with two territorial fish. So problems might ensue for that idea. So I wouldn't recommend it. Betta's have the reputation of being the "bad boys," and... It all depends on that particular fishes personality. I've had Betta's that only flare at each other, some that flare at everything, and one that flared at nothing, not even his other Betta neighbors so... I guess the best advice would be to keep him by himself. Though I have never seen a Betta completely white from poor water quality, there is nothing saying that can't happen. Usually they are called Pearl something or other, depending on the breeder and the name they give them.

As far as gravels, they aren't choosy, they simply need a fake leaf of a fake ornamental plant to couch potato on. Just my opinion.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Saurav and Welcome to Fish Lore. I hope you can share some photos with us once you're all set up. Lots of good adivce, tips and links above.
    Keep us posted.
    Ken

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm glad you'll be getting your betta a 5g.
    Any aquarium safe smooth stone/gravel will be fine. I use small pebbles some members use colorful glass marbles.
    Plastic plants work well. Silk plants are a goo idea too. Sometimes the plastic one have sharp edges. Run some pantie hose accross it. If it snags the stocking, it can snag a bettas tail.
    I've never tried keeping a betta with an angel but imo, it wouldn't be advisable. Most prefer to be by them selves. A 5g tank wouldn't be big enough for an angels anyway.

Believe me, your betta will not hide from food. lol They've got great personalities and will wiggle and dance every time you go to his tank. Most are little piggies so feeding shouldn't be a problem.
    I feed mine 3-4 pellets in the morning and 5-6 blood worms at night.

The link in post #3 will answer a lot of questions for you. :)

9. saurav Initiate Member

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all those tips and advice. My bettas are now set and are doing pretty well in the tank. They look gorgeous in there. But I'm having trouble feeding them. I tried with pellets first. They did not even go near the pellets for almost 2 hours, after which I decided to pull the pellets out. These guys are not eating the bloodworms either. I'm sure they are pretty used to their new home by now and shall be hungry because the last meal that was given to them was almost 24 hours back. Any suggestions on how can I feed them?

And I'll put up photos soon.

Cheers.

Saurav

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

How long have you had them? Sometimes it takes a couple days to adjust.
    Are the bettas small? The larger pellets might be too big for them. You can try soaking food in garlic juice. This might help stimulate their appetite.
    Can't wait for pics. :)

11. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

When I bring home a new betta or fish, I'd only feed them the next day because I know they won't eat after they arrive as they need a day or two to adjust. Give them some time. Can't wait to see some pics. Good luck!

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FIshlore! Very good advise and links above :) one question though. You said you narrowed it down to 2 bettas. I understand you have a 5g. Is it divided for both?

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi & Welcome!

Feeding problems. Sometimes they take a while to settle and if the food you have is different to what they were fed in the store they can balk at wanting to eat it.
    Try swatting a mosquito for them, they love the fresh meat! :)

14. saurav Initiate Member

Hi Tony,

I have divided the tank for both the bettas. I got the tank made such that it has a larger surface area a lesser depth. So my bettas have ample amount of space to swin around in the tank and also they dont have to struggle a lot to go up to the surface to breathe.

My bettas are eating now. they seem to be very happy and they are very interactive too. They love the bloodworms. Will put up pics as soon as i finish uploading them. Having trouble uploading them to photobucket, but i'll soon figure out something.

Cheers,
    Saurav

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm glad they're eating and enjoying the tank. :) Can't wait to see them!

16. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Wonderful news! What are their names?

17. saurav Initiate Member

Hey Guys,

Here are the fotographs. Not too clear, but i'll put up some more soon. These guys have been named Loco (the white one) and Conquistador (the blue one).

LOCO:

66.jpg
    I named this one loco because it keeps doing all crazy stuff like wriggling and swimming away really fast whenever it sees my hand. And then comes back to just stare at me.
    CONQUISTADOR:

67.jpg
    This guy is strong and moves around in the tank like he has conquered a terirtory. He flares at almost anything thats dropped in his tank including food...trying to scare away objects.

--
    Saurav

P.S.: There is another betta in the LFS thats asking me to get him home. I'm already preparing another 5 gallon for him. :)

18. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Your bettas are gorgeous. Welcome Conquistador and Loco!
    I'm glad they started to eat. :)

19. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Love the photos and their names ;D Too cute! :happy0034:

Glad you're helping and saving some bettas step by step. Welcome to the betta savers club! haha Keep us updated on your other 5 gal and the betta too. Best of luck! :;hf

20. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Wow! They're SO beautiful. :)