New Fluval Fx6 - Sloshing And Microbubbles - How To Fix? Help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by redman77, Apr 9, 2019.

1. redman77Valued MemberMember

I just setup a 75 gallon freshwater tank on Sunday afternoon. I splurged on a fluval fx6 filter which is now having problems.

It will run fine for about an hour. After that it starts to spit out thousands of microbubbles and I can hear a sloshing sound coming from the cannister. If I turn the filter off and on it fixes itself (releasing a bunch of air all at once into the aquarium), only for the bubbles and sloshing to come back again after about an hour.

It seems clear that there is air in the canister, but I have no idea how to fix it. Last night I disconnected the intake and output hoses and reconnected them to make sure they were tight. I did the same with the cannister cover. There is no slack in the hoses. I've read that certain types of media can cause this, but I literally just have the media in there that came with the filter.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it just a matter of waiting a few days for it to settle?

Thanks!

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Did you rock it back and forth, front to back and hold it for a bit to see if the air bubbles quiet down?

3. redman77Valued MemberMember

I did not. I will try it first thing when I get home. Thanks so much for the tip, I will let everyone know how it goes.

4. lodingiValued MemberMember

Unplug, wait a minute then plug in. The filter should start to run, then stop for a minute to purge the air, then start flowing.

The FX series automatically purges air every 24 hours.

5. redman77Valued MemberMember

I've done that but the bubbles come back. After I unplug the outtake releases a big group of bubbles (so big that it splashes out of the tank), and then when I restart it works well, but only for about an hour. Then the microbubbles come back.

6. lodingiValued MemberMember

Hmm. All fittings are tight and no leaks?

7. redman77Valued MemberMember

Yup, I took all the fittings off and put them back on last night to make sure they were tight. There are no water leaks.

8. lodingiValued MemberMember

If there are no leaks, and the flow is good (no clogs) I would say the filter is defective. You shouldn't need to shake the filter to purge the air, they're engineered to do it on their own.

9. ferndog3869New MemberMember

Try turning down the out flow just a tad to let intake catch up. This happens when your intake hose is longer than output.

10. redman77Valued MemberMember

I think the problem has been solved. Before leaving the house yesterday I filled the tank basically to the top (I had previously left 4 inches of space b/c I will be adding driftwood and rocks). When I came home the filter was working great - no more bubbles. It could be that the leak was at the place where the intake connected with the hose and now that it is under water it is fine. Thanks everyone for the tips!