New fishy!!!!

1. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I got my new goldfish today! She's a calico fantail who's orange, black and white. Pictures will come soon!

2. p

platyfish Valued Member Member

Nice!

3. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

What's it's name?

4. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

congrats!

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Maddielynn. Congrats on the new Gold Fish! I'll be looking forward to your updates and photos.
    Happy New Year!
    Ken

6. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

I haven't named it yet. This morning when I woke up, it wasn't looking so good... it was sitting at the bottom and breathing hard, and I thought it might be stuck between a plant and a rock, so I stuck the net in there and poked it at the goldfish and when the net got close the fish freaked out and started swimming all crazy. It can't seem to stay balanced and was swimming upside down and sideways. I put it in a breeder net so the danios won't bother it and gave it some daphnia since I don't have any peas, but it didn't eat any and it isn't looking good :(.

I don't know what it is about me and goldfish! I can't seem to keep them alive! I've always wanted to have one that grows really big but they always die :(.

7. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm... What's the ammonia levels in the tank? The goldi may have stressed your bio-load.

8. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Doubt it - the goldie's body is 1.5" max, and even if my tank was uncycled (which it isn't) that wouldn't do this to the fish in just 1 night. I'll test ammonia, though.

9. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Was this in your 29G? If so heres what I can think of, the temperature in the tank is 78, too warm for a goldfish, warmer water is harder to keep oxygenated. The water is more dense with oxygen at the top of the tank near the surface, the fish may have gone up into this area and 'gasped' at the top, air in the swim bladder can happen through gasping, which leads to a swim bladder problem which is what you seem to be describing, but thats all I can think of :(

10. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

4 zebra danios with the goldie. Temp is about 75 but I unplugged the heater so it will cool down a little because the heater won't go any cooler than 75. I want it about 72-74. My ammonia is at 0.

11. p

platyfish Valued Member Member

12. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

It died :(

The danios weren't really the problem. I just don't know what was.