New Fishroom, Need Hood/ Led Light Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Whitewolf, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

I am buying a house and going to turn a spare small basement rooom into a fishroom.
    I want it to look neat, because it is a mostly finished basement, but it still has brick walls and concrete.
    I want at least 12 Twenty Gallon Tall tanks, to colony breed guppies. Yaay finally my dream comes true. Have plenty of money to use too. I want each tank to stand out, look sharp and unique, but also all will have to be fairly uniform, having good hiding no clutter of electronics or wires, and LED lights are must. They are all gonna be moderately planted, with a mixture of diffrent layouts and substrates rocks and driftwood and diffrent plants, and all the backs will be painted flat black. I want to know what is the best kind of LED lights to use, from an electricity standpoint and also a plant growth standpoint. Money is not really an issue, i want looking this nice!
    I also kind of want the tanks enclosed with an actual hood, my basement can get a little damp. There are 2 windows that can be opened up and allowed to air out, and i plan on using a de-humidifer in the summer months, and a open tank type led growlight might allow too much evaporation and lead to mold problems. There is a heat/ac vent in the room and in the winter ill run the dry heat and use a space heater or just that dehumidifer (it puts off decent heat) The room is about 144 Sq ft and i plan on using a low tech setup with Flourish and excel.
    Need to know how much light i need to provide, id like to grow lots of plants but my water is pretty hard and alkaline 8.2ish and 200GH and usually Crypts do well,amazon swords do decent,i probably will have alot of those. Any type of fern or other soft water plant, usually dosent do well
    HELP!

2. dcutl002

dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

If money is is no issue, look into:
    • Kessil A160 Tuna Sun
    • Finnex 24/7 planted +
    • Current USA Freshwater LED + Pro

3. OP
    OP
    Whitewolf

How much wattage i need for a 20G low tech planted tank with Fert and how much those led things cost to operate?
    I really want a complete hood/light assembly that has led lights and still covers water so humidity and evaporation/mould is not an issue.
    I mean i dont want to really spend 140 per tank for lights, or is that just the way led is? (expensive, needs alot of bulbs, no covers or the ones that do come in hoods lights arent strong enough)

4. OP
    OP
    Whitewolf

Or hmm, maybe i should just buy those glass lids for all tanks if thats the way all leds are, or just go with a daylight floursent (similar to led) white light?

5. Wet Pets

Wet PetsNew MemberMember

ON a 15 amp electrical breaker you can wire (12) 100 watt light bulbs, that is 1200 watts off one electrical circuit, check your equipment and see how much watts they use together ,

6. dcutl002

We use PAR for light intensity vice Watts

You could do something like this:  

Or this:  

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Whitewolf

Okay thankyou, will have a read.

8. OP
    OP
    Whitewolf

I do raise indoor houseplants, and i have a fairly accurate light intensity meter, it reads in ftc. About 3,000 Ftc. is standard light for indoor houseplant or outside in the shade. Assuming i could convert ftc to lumens, how many lumens should i be aming for for decent growth. I plan on leaving the lights on from 8am until 10pm.
    Would 600-800ish lumens be good for most water plants?

9. OP
    OP
    Whitewolf

There are only 2 outlets in my basement fishroom.
    15 amp outlets each, 1500 watts, one for lights and one for dehumidifer/space heater and air pump or power filters

10. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I think the glass lids keep the water in the tank much better than a plastic hood. My tank with a plastic hood has more evaporation compared to the one with a glass hood. Plus, the LED lights don't get water kicking up on them. :)

11. dcutl002

Lumens is what humans see and PAR is what plants see. I do not think that there is a conversion.

12. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

The article @dcutl002 linked above that explains PAR, is basically the bible here. It explains the relation between lumens, PAR, watts, or lack of relation. It's a nice good long read, and it takes you 2-3 times of reading through to actually grasp it all, haha. Or maybe that's just me, too many paint chips.

As for lights, I highly suggest the Finnex lights. They make them in a variety of sizes for most tanks. And you can use multiple lights easily on larger tanks or in high light setups. For the OP's needs, I would go with the 24/7 and have them all set at same time on the natural sunrise/sunset mode. It's a 12 hour cycle, but apparently you can cut it short with an external timer that cut's power to the unit if you wanted a shorter cycle. Keep in mind, because of the sunrise/sunset and dimming effect, the 12 hour cycle is probably more like a 9 hour cycle with a traditional light. (which can still be a bit much sometimes). With that light you will have no problems growing just about anything you wanted, up to medium light plants. Anything more will need CO2 and higher PAR lights.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice