New Fish!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Prism, Apr 22, 2017.

1. PrismWell Known MemberMember

TODAY!!

I might be going to the pet store for a new fish! I'm planning on 1 betta, in a 5 gal tank, I have everything I need mostly, except I'm soon maybe going to get a driftwood. I hope I get a good score in the betta's.

WISH ME LUCK! ;)

I will post some more pictures of him, when I get home with him in the reply box! ;D

2. 2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Oh, looking forward to him. I "accidently" came home with a beauty a few months ago. I was dreading some kid putting him in a jar so I took him home the next day.

3. PrismWell Known MemberMember

I GOT HiM! He is blueish, yellow, and multiple colors. But he is having troubles with the filter pulling, btw. His name is Prism.

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

If the filter is pulling him in there may be a risk of him getting sucked into the impeller or stuck. Either cover the intake with a filter sponge, or switch over to a sponge filter.

5. PrismWell Known MemberMember

I don't mean the sides, for when he goes by the flow, he gets pushed down, or side.

6. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ah, you said "pulling" so I thought you meant he was being sucked towards the intake (prefilter sponge still isn't a bad idea idea... lost my poor betta earlier this year). There are ways to make filter baffles, I had one made from a section of 2 liter soda bottle.

7. PrismWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for your loss, but I have something like that, but its a laminated card, but if I got the sponge how do you set it up ??

8. FahnFishlore VIPMember

What type of inlet does your filter have? If nothing else you can put some pantyhose around the intake. :p

9. PrismWell Known MemberMember

Internal, Submerged Intake Vent.

10. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

A fish of mine got sucked into the filter and got ripped in half (you can probably find the thread I made about it lol), I thought he did not fit but somehow he fit in it and somehow he also got sucked after weeks of swimming near it without getting sucked so be careful, specially with bettas.
    As for the output, you can also put a sponge and it should reduce flow, just be sure it is a very porous sponge so flow isnt reduced that much.