New Fish With Betta

1. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

hello,I just went out today to get new fish to go with my male Betta in a 10 gallon tank and I got 2 ,a Rasboras and a neon tetra they are getting along well with the Betta but the Rasboras is underneath a plant leaf on the bottom and isn’t moving much, could it be stressed or is it sick?
    Any help is appreciated!

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

both neon tetras and rasboras are schooling fish requireing at least 6. i would rehome them and keep the betta by itself

3. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

I started with two to make sure they would do good, tomorrow I will get two more and then on Friday I will get the final two.

4. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

that would be too much, they require 6 of the SAME speices not 3

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Both types of fish are shoaling types that should be in groups of six. Neon tetras generally prefer cooler water than bettas enjoy.

The rasbora is hiding because it is in a new environment and very likely stressed.

I would suggest returning the new fish. Because they aren't really appropriate for a ten gallon tank.

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Schooling fish I recommend 20gallon longs. 10 gallons dont allow them to school well. If you want something try some shrimp and snails with your betta.

7. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Both the tetras and rasboras need to be in a group of 6 each. Not 6 schooling fish total, but 6 rasboras and 6 tetras. And no, you can't mix subspecies either, meaning one type of tetra (say neon tetras for example) won't school with another type of tetra (such as glofish tetras). They will only school with their own species. They are hiding because of stress and new environment, and also they are too afraid to come out because they don't have that safety in numbers that they need.

Unfortunately, 10 gallons is not enough for a schooling species. You really need at least a 20 gallon tank if you want to start keeping schooling fish.

I advise you to return these tetras and rasboras to the store. If you want a tank mate for you betta, consider snails or shrimp. If you go with snails, I suggest a snail that doesn't have long antenna. Those long antenna, like on apple snails, are just so hard for bettas to resist. As for shrimp, some bettas will eat shrimp, others won't. Start out with some cheap feeder shrimp, like ghost shrimp. If he does okay with ghost shrimp, you can get some more expensive shrimp. If he eats ghost shrimp, well, the good news is they're less than 50 cents a piece and you found out he's not shrimp compatible before buying more expensive ones. Sometimes an african dwarf frog works as a tank mate for a betta, but this is hit and miss, and usually works better if you have the frog first and add the betta, because the betta is likely to view any new additions to his tank as an intruder.

8. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

Okay very helpful. I have two Betta’s each in there own tank. My other Betta I’ve tried snails and he almost killed it so he has a tank to himself. The Betta that has the other fish with them also has a mystery snail because he’s SO docile witch I was VERY surprised since Betta’s are know for aggression. The neon tetra even stared to swim with my Betta but got bored with him and went to hang with the Rasboras. Lol. I will move them to a 20g and just get some more. The people from there all said it would be fine to keep them all in a 10g just to get some more neons or Rasboras. But thank you

Since you all seem experienced I’m going to ask you a question. So I had 6 fancy guppy fry on 6-5-18 and I was unaware that I had a fancy guppy that was going to have fry. The mother died yesterday and I never had the dad:(. There are currently In a 1 gallon bag in the tank the mom used to be in which was a ten gallon that also holds 3 GloFish, 2 corydoras and 3 snails (I know it’s overstocked) but I setup a 7 gallon hexagon tank for them, all brand new things in it. I put a little gravel from an established tank in the filter, I took the filter cartridge from the tank they are in and put it in the new filter and I also took a little castle and plant from an established tank and put it in there to help the benifical bacteria grow faster. Does anyone know when I can put them in there? It needs to be ASAP that’s why I did all that. There is nothing living in it yet. Would putting a large mystery snail in there help or would it just kill the snail? If it’s going to kill the snail I don’t want to do it since it was my first snail and I love it so much

9. IHaveADogToo

Honestly, that probably did the trick right there. I would test the water to be sure, but I expect that tank so be instantly cycled, or at least cycled within 24 hours.

If you don't have a test kit, take a sample of the water from that tank to the pet store. They will test it for you for free. Get a count on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Those counts will tell us if the tank is ready or not.

10. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

Okay thank you I will get it tested tomorrow!
    One other question the filter that I got has large slits where the water gets sucked up and I’m afraid it will take my fry and that will probably kill them. So is there something I can cover it with so that it can still keep the tank clean but not suck up the fry? I don’t want to have to go out again and buy a sponge filter but if that’s the only thing that will work then I will

11. IHaveADogToo

Sponge filter is safer for fry, no doubt. In the long term, that is probably for the best. But it will take too long to cycle a new sponge filter. So I would go ahead and get one when you can, and add it in as a secondary filtration, and in a few weeks the beneficial bacteria will spread to it. But there's no hurry on that.

In order to make your existing filter fry safe, you can wrap some nylon pantyhose around it, or cover the intake with a sponge. Use zip ties to secure whatever covering you use into place.

12. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

Also when can I put the cartridge that the filter came with back in since the one from my established tank doesn’t fit the filter?

Okay thank you so much!! I will probably just put nylon pantyhose around it.

13. Aquilist

Aquilist Valued Member Member

I presume you mean you're getting 5 more tetras AND 5 more rasboras?? Tetras need schools of at least six tetras. Same with rasboras. In that case, even 20 gallons won't be enough for 12 fish.

14. OP
    OP
    FishFor2018

no i'm actually puting the neon tetra in with my 4 other neon tetras, and the Rasbora is staying with the Betta. I'm looking for more Rasboras but none of my LFS have them in stock right now so i will just put the Rasbora in with my Glofish for now....If that will work?