New Fish, The Store Didn't Know What It Was.

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by astonishedman, Apr 13, 2018.

1. astonishedman

astonishedman New Member Member

So I saw this fish today and couldn't NOT get it. The resident fish expert was off and the sub didn't know what it was. Was not marked on the tank. I've been unable to find it online by description. Hoping someone here might know.

Attached Files:

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I believe it’s a clown knife.

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Agree with above, its a Clown knifefish.

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Agreed. They get huge, so you'll probably need to either get a much larger tank or rehome it eventually.

5. OP
    OP
    astonishedman

Wow! That was fast. I looked it up by that and see the similarity. Now I'm wondering if mine is injured. If you look closely at the pic it looks like a big bite out of it when compared to the other Clown Knife photos I've seen.

6. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Wow! That's a huge chunk missing!

7. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Yikes, I didn't notice that before. I'm kind of suprised that it's still alive. Can you tell if the wound is healed over or not?

8. OP
    OP
    astonishedman

I don't see any open wound. I actually thought it was the shape of the fish until I compared with Clown Knife photos online. He must be really resilient to survive an injury like that. He doesn't swim as though he is injured.

9. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I think it may have been a birth deformity. The indent is pretty "smooth".

But yes. Clown knives get huge. What size is your tank?

10. OP
    OP
    astonishedman

It's a 20 gallon. If he lives long enough to get huge I may be ready for a larger tank.

11. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

It won't get huge in your 20g. It will get stunted.

12. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

Agreed. And just to clarify for the OP, "stunted" growth can be very painful for a fish. Basically the outside stops growing but the internal organs continue and are eventually so crammed in that it causes spinal deformities and premature death.

Sorry, not trying to rain on the parade, just don't wait for it to get too big - be prepared for it well beforehand.

Good luck! He/she looks like a survivor!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice