New fish tank 29 Gallon Tank 

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im going to be setting up a 25 gallon tropicalfish tank. I would like to transfer my dwarf gourami into it from a 10 gallon. I am wondering if this combination of fish will work..

1 dwarf gourami
2 black kuhli loaches
5 guppies

and in my ten gallon i would like to have
1 betta
and 2 cory catfish

will either of these be overstocked and will the fish all get along? the only thing im not to sure about really is the guppies and the gourami because people seem to have mixed feelings.

I hope to hear some responses! thanks

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
in the 25 gallon i would also maybe like to add a female dwarf gourami to give him some companionship as I know it is difficult for them to breed.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! If I haven't said it before, welcome to FishLore!!

The DG, guppies and kuhlis would be great for your 25 gallon. I'm not sure about adding another DG. I've never had two together. Someone else will have to answer that.

The 10 gallon would be great for the betta, but ime, cories need more room than 10 gallon's. They can be pretty shy and inactive in a small tank and do better in a larger than your 10 would allow.
Maybe look into some Pygmy Cories instead.

Good luck!

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks!
I dont want the betta to be alone so ill see if the store as pygmy cories. any other suggestions for betta tank mates in a 10 gallon?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
asialh89 said:
Im going to be setting up a 25 gallon tropicalfish tank. I would like to transfer my dwarf gourami into it from a 10 gallon. I am wondering if this combination of fish will work..

1 dwarf gourami
2 black kuhli loaches
5 guppies

and in my ten gallon i would like to have
1 betta
and 2 cory catfish

will either of these be overstocked and will the fish all get along? the only thing im not to sure about really is the guppies and the gourami because people seem to have mixed feelings.

I hope to hear some responses! thanks
Kuhlis are social fish that need to be kept in groups in order for them to be comfortable enough to not hide all the time. I would get more like 6 or 7.

asialh89 said:
in the 25 gallon i would also maybe like to add a female dwarf gourami to give him some companionship as I know it is difficult for them to breed.
25 MIGHT not be big enough for a second gourami, even if it is a female. BTW, females are really hard to come by. I don't think breeding them is difficult, but rather finding females to breed.

asialh89 said:
thanks!
I dont want the betta to be alone so ill see if the store as pygmy cories. any other suggestions for betta tank mates in a 10 gallon?
The betta really doesn't mind being alone. And it won't be alone....it has you.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
will a 25 gallon be enough room for that many kuhlis? even with the gourami and some guppies in there?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, kuhli loaches are small and have a low bioload.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
what about adding an angelfish along with the gourai,guppies and kuhlis, or will that be too much. i definately dont want it to be overstocked but angelfish are very interesting fishies.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never mixed an angel and a gourami, but I've heard there can be problems. I think the likelihood of problems increases in a smaller tank.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
alright well maybe ill get the tank established with the other fish and see how it goes from there. i dont want there to be any aggression problems, and also the tank isnt extremely tall which would probly be better for an angelfish anyways

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 12 Neon Tetras in my 10 with a Male betta and haven't had an issue yet(going on about 3-4 months). He pursues them once in a blue moon but they are way to fast to get caught. Most of the time he just floats around with them. I have constantly been watching his fins as well and no nipping happening so far. I also have 2 Oto's in there and they seem to be invisible to everyone else(I don't think they pay attention to the others either lol)

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah my betta has been bullied in the past by tiger barbs, when i got them the clerks at petsmart said they would be fine with the betta, after reading up on it I've found that is basically the biggest fish taboo out there as tiger barbs are major fin nippers, so my betta is rather shy now and hides a lot even though the barbs have been removed. im hoping he hasnt been traumatized or become sick from his ordeal. ill look into the neons tho, im more worried about him getting nipped than him hurting any fish.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas can kill, so don't think of them as poor defenceless fish. Tiger barbs are way out of their league, but if the betta wakes up cranky one day you might lose a neon or two.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah im definately thinking of just leaving him in the tank alone. he deserves some peace and tranquility and a life without conflict lol

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
asialh89 said:
yeah im definately thinking of just leaving him in the tank alone. he deserves some peace and tranquility and a life without conflict lol
Get him a snail and some shrimp.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
good idea.thanks!

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im pretty sure I do not want the guppies to breed, maybe once i've kept them for awhile and am more experienced, so im thinking of getting 5 males. will that be okay in the tank.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All males may cause aggression issues. I have always tried to keep a 2:1 female to male ratio in my tanks, of course that leads to a bit of fry....

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For guppies, 2 males, maybe 3 will work. More than 3 is asking for trouble.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well i went to my local petsmart and they dont have black kuhli loaches :S so i think in the 25 g im going to get 6 or more cories. they have peppered and albino at the store. i might still check out the other tropical fish stores too n see if they have the loaches, but im not too hopeful.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads